Scanning service for medium format slides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwgphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Scanning service for medium format slides Reply with quote

I have a bunch of 645 slides that I want to have scanned and I am looking for a quality lab at a reasonable price. I have tried scanning them myself with my epson 2450 flatbed but can't get the colors and density to look right.

Any sugeestions? I saw opne online place called larsons that looked promising.

Thanks
Paul
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this may turn into a plugfest for everyone's favorite lab, so I'll start it off with mine. I get all of my scans done by Curt at The Darkroom in Reseda, California. These days that consists of mainly a lot of Polaroid 55 negs, but he has also done great scans of all of my 6x6 transparencies too. I was having some issues with the color on a portrait I shot because the particular frame I liked was kind of a fluke at the end of a shoot and if I would have had the time to re-light it a bit, I would have. Anyway, I was stuck with it and had Curt give me what he thought was his best interpretation of the image. It came out perfect. Here's the shot in question:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ivan P Simeon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks : You are lucky. I never found any lab who was able to correctly scan Pola 55 negs. I always have to scan manual prints. Next time I come to California, I will take some with me and hopefully find some time to go to The Darkroom.

How much time do they need and what is the price per Pola 55 neg ? Any URL ? Thanks in advance Brooks.

www.mysimeon.ch
pwgphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. In an effort to get more posts going in this forum I posted here first. If it turns into a plug fest so be it as long as it helps me find a lab that can provide qaulity at a fair price. Please give as much info as possible, such as a link, price and so on.

Thanks
Paul
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! I guess I should have given some sort of contact info eh?

The Darkroom
http://darkroomlab.com
818-993-8181

I think the prices for Drum Scans are:

up to 40MB - $25.00 US
up to 120MB - $40.00 US
up to 240MB - $60.00 US

These are on the price list they have online (PDF). I don't pay that as I do a bunch of trade out stuff with them. I also don't have him "spot" my scans for dust. I do it myself. He is very good at it though and it's a normal part of the service as I remember.

I just talked to Curt and he said if you say "Brooks is Great" he'll give you a 10% discount! :-)

Last edited by Brooks Ayola on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ivan P Simeon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brooks. Perhaps we meet at this place once. Would be a pleasure to have a coffee with you.

www.mysimeon.ch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: