pricing usage for web?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcw
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: pricing usage for web? Reply with quote

Hoping someone has the time and can give me some advice how they deal with web use. First how do you figure the licensing cost for web? I guess my question stems from the difference between a regional arch, verses a national company. And how do you convey that to a creative director only looking at dpi measurements? thanks for any insights jeff
AaronL
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can look at this as a national vs local company since the web is accessible anywhere. I would do a search for stock calculators and start there. Did you shoot this for the website or if it is something you had shot already and are marketing it to the company. Plus what is your usage, one year? 6 months?

From the land of B.B.Q. and tornadoes

www.aaronlindberg.com
www.kcfaces.com
www.photokidblog.com
jcw
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aaron. for me I get a little tongue tide when explaining usage for web, A regional architectural firm isn't going to pay world wide usage nor does google rank their website at the same level that a company with offices from coast to coast rank. This particular shoot would be only for web, but the images will need to be very stylized and I know I want to have usage in our conversations. Of course I'll hit ghetty for pricing ideas, but could use a little mental grease.

If anyone would care to suggest ideas about talking pieces on usage & web to get my brain thinking that would be very appreciated. thanks jeff
Frank Nagy
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCW,

In these situations, take a look at some smaller stock agencies, get their $$ for the type of usage on the web, (main pg. etc.) throw it all together and decide, will it meet your CODB and production costs and other expenses plus a little (this is what you have to figure out) more for your creativity and value you bring to the project.

The images have value to the client, they do not do work that they are not properly compensated for, explain that the same images from stock would cost, exclusive vs non exclusive, and if you numbers are reasonable, it should work out.

You must decide how much your skill and creativity is worth and charge accordingly, if they balk, look at the min. you feel that you can charge, if if they still balk, walk away, it will be a loosing proposition. Channel your energies to more positive things and better clients, they're out there, you just have to connect with them.
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many of you are starting to think of online pricing the way you think of print pricing?

It seems that it used to be that online viewing was insignificant and often an after thought with many buyers expecting it to be thrown in. But now online viewing can easily trump printed versions making it more valuable. When will pricing change to accept that fact? Isn't that a danger of just doing what others have been doing just because that's the way it's been done?
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: print vs online Reply with quote

You should be very specific about your language in your estimate. Web use is much more efficient to the Client than printed pieces. I have Clients that are also posting pieces that can be downloaded as PDF files, so cover this in your paperwork. I usually quote both with similar numbers and limit the term of use. If the images are that successful, it can result in future sales.

I have also met a US distributor of a European product line and submitted an estimate for their use only. Why would I shoot for the US Company and allow use in the EU without appropriate compensation? Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

TC
www.tcphoto.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: