speedotron tavel pack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent 4y's
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: speedotron tavel pack Reply with quote

This is pretty cooland new. Speedotron Explorer 1500 Portable Power Supply.

www.speedotron.com
Gregman
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - Speedo finally got this out.

I reported on this back in November on PDN's forum

http://www.pdngallery.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005266#000012
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ianmcc
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very cool. I shoot with Speedo stuff and was thinking about something for remote location work. I was thinking Honda Gennerator but now maybe this will do it.
Gregman
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an awesome battery power pack - I played with it extensively back in November and was also allowed to actually rent it from Speedo for free on a few occasions in order to test it ot and give them feedback. But that was right around the end of the year and I had no idea it was finally made available.

I don't know of anyone yet selling it - but I would bet that Helix would be the first to stock it as they are family. Then Calumet would be next for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg, do you happen to remember how far that thing dials down? I'm so used to plugging into 400WS with a 2400 pack, dialing 3 stops down and dumping a head to get as little power as possible. Of course, with this configuration, there's no dumping a second head.
Gregman
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks - I got the best thing for ya!!!

There is a local guy here in town named Devon Reno who I have talked about for years on PDN's forums when ever a thread came up about converting one strobe head to another pack or converting Moles to strobes etc etc - well he makes and sells a box that is designed for lowering your power on your speedo heads even more then the packs can. I have two of these now and I swear that they are awesome and very accurate!!.

The box has a short speedo cable and plug on it which you plug into your speedo pack, and on the opposite side of the box you plug your head - you can then dial you pack as low as it will go, and on the box there is a 3-way toggle switch -3/4, -1 1/2 & -1 3/4. If you then want to feather your power slightly you can use the variator on the packs.

He sells these on EBAY for about $300 - well worth it especially if your using a DSLR and fast wide open glass!!!1

Here is a link to one of the auctions for the item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Speedotron-Photo-Electronics-Power-Reducer-Blackline_W0QQitemZ7582184919QQcategoryZ30087QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
davegilo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg, do you have contact info for Devon, That you could post, I had him build some pencil lites for our speedo's years ago and lost touch, i thought he was outside of Lake Geneva
Gregman
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devon Reno's number is 708/798.1774
brent 4y's
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a side note. while I was looking at honda generators (small, quiet, portable and expensive). I stumbled across a simular brand with the same type of specs, and quite alot cheaper.

www.kipor.com
ianmcc
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. Where do you find these in Canada?
Perhaps the Gennie solution is still the way to go. Up here in canada there is only ONE dealer, Vistek for the entire nation who is allowed to sell Speedo.

And they act like they know their the only ones.
brent 4y's
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian,
for Kipor dealers in Canada the link is;

www.AuroraGenerators.com

They are in Toronto and Vancouver. I hear ya about Vistek, However Here in Calgary there seem to be some good sales people, who after a few years are good to deal with.
The only thing is a 2000 watt gen. will only run a 1200 watt sec. pack. were as the speedo travel pack is 1500 watt sec. But if you have a big flag or rent one, 1200 watt sec. is quite good.
xmishx
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregman,

I'm originally from Chicago and have dealt with Devon on many occasions. He is brilliant when it comes to strobe equipment. He has been modifying strobes of all sorts since the 70's, from what I remember. I'm glad to hear he is still doing his thing.

Portland, Oregon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: