How do I bid this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: How do I bid this? Reply with quote

I got an email from someone who is the new marketing director of a senior living facility. He said he wants to update the website(I'm guessing he'll want to print brochures etc...I will ask about all usage). He wants me to answer a bunch of questions...what camera do I use, how many megapixels, how many people will I bring, do I shoot HDR, what's my office/computer capabilities, what's my ability to color correct and is this included, do I belong to any professional photo organizations, how many years experience shooting commercially, and do I have any experience shooting retirement communities.

He obviously wants to make sure that I'm professional, and not showing up with a point and shoot.

He also states that the job will be 2 days at 10 hours per day. I know he mentioned some sunrise and sunset shots outdoors. So how do I figure this out? I would want to ask him about usage(what type, where, how long). I use fotoquote to give me a range on this, but how do I figure this along with the hourly commitment...this place is between 1-2 hours away also Thanks.

Jon
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like someone fed him just enough information to be dangerous. Perhaps someone before was trying to justify their price by detailing the work that goes into shooting something like that. How can he tell you that you can shoot it in 2 (10)hour days...when it really hasn't been discussed as what will be shot? He doesn't know how you shoot.

You need to back up and bid it like you would if he hadn't came at you with all the questions. Find out exactly what he wants shot and what he's going to use it for. And I'm no mathmatician, but I'm not sure you can shoot a sunrise and sunset in one 10 hour day.
Leslie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to talk to him about how many shots and what each one will be. DO NOT go on days like he wants...that is a quick way to be rushed into making crappy images for little money.

Talk to him, be polite, but lead the discussion. Be confident (NOT a jerk, though) and ask him about budget, too. If he says he won't tell, try the "Well, are you thinking $40K or 4K?" Often a buyer will tip his hand to that question.

The more you communicate, the more he will know you are a pro. I'm guessing (and I could be wrong) that he's price shopping, though.

Good luck!
Leslie
http://facebook.com/burnsautoparts
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like they have used a professional photographer previously, based upon his questions. As others stated, get them talking about what sort of images they would like. Fotoquote would not be a bad start, though I get the feeling that you might get asked how you came up with the numbers, or what is behind the numbers. To that you could answer that it is "industry standard" rates, or you could attempt to explain further, depending upon what they want to know. As with any new client, it is about building confidence in you, that you will be able to deliver compelling images for them. They should hire you on image quality, and not on what gear you can bring to a shoot.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally heard back. He started out by saying "Thank you for your project bid for "XXXX". "You have very impressive work, however, based on the information and pricing that we received, we're going to go in another direction. I appreciate your time and consideration. Sincerely XXX"

First, I never was given the chance to bid. I answered all of his questions, and then said that I didn't estimate based on hours or days, but rather on the number of shots, and their usage. I never heard back until today. When looking at the existing website, there are a lot of images. For every category such as "activities" there's shots of swimming, working out, gardening, bingo, etc. Facilities...shots of exteriors, bedrooms, social areas, eating areas, workout facilities, etc. Maybe this is what scared him off...knowing that he needed so many images. He'll probably get someone to come in for a day for a couple of hundred dollars. Who knows.

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: