Advertising Photography by Lou Lesko

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Advertising Photography by Lou Lesko Reply with quote

I read this book over the weekend and have to recommend it to anyone that sees commercial photography the same way he sees the Bigfoot. You know it's there but it's kinda blurry...

I've read a shit load of books and this was the most practical real world situations that I've always wondered about answered honestly and effectively.
megafunk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I picked this one up from the library last week and haven't had the time to crack it open yet. Now I'm looking forward to reading it more so.
megafunk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is a very easy read because of the conversational style and logical flow of organization. It does seem like it lost some steam at the end as evident by the paragraphs getting smaller as the page count grew (However that could just be my perception versus fact).

It handles the politics of the gigs and procurement which seem to be glossed over frequently by similar books. I had read this after the Stone/Sease book which had a different style that also came off a bit too much like a catalogue for services and products for affiliates. Comparatively, I thought he handled his "Blink Bid" conflict with FotoQuote decently. I plan on re-reading both books again as the queue dissipates.
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it at Barnes & Noble...I was at Borders yesterday and didn't see it. I'll check B & N today. I liked the Sease/Stone book, but I can see what you're talking about. So far Leslie's "Tell The World You Don't Suck" has been the most helpful, but I need to read everything I can. I agree with Shane's opening comment about Bigfoot...you know it's out there, it's just a matter of bringing it into focus.

As an aside, I've made a ton of connections through Linkedin, and am now in the process of taking my portfolio around to the local people. As much as I consider myself in need of more information, I've discovered that new "on their own" graphic designers know so much less than I do about this whole process. So far they seem willing to learn, but the whole idea of licensing seems alien to a lot of them. The ones that have been around seem to "know the ropes". It seems like it's a perfect time to form a "team" with some of the newby designers, rather than look at them as adversaries. O.K. I'll get off the soapbox now Very Happy
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm halfway through Lou Lesko's book. It really is an easy read. I've gotten different things from all the books I've read on the photography business. This one has some good anecdotes from a photographer who's been through a lot.
mschulz
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only second Lou's book. It's a super easy read but still very informative. It's like grabbing out of the real world. On top I can now say that after I read the book and then met Lou in person that he's also a very nice guy on top and always willing to help.

Mike

www.michaelschulz-photography.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: