Basic pricing structures Commercial vs. Editorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan Puckett
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Basic pricing structures Commercial vs. Editorial Reply with quote

So Iím fairly new to pricing editorial and commercial assignments. Iíve been spending months reading as many books, and forums as I can to get an idea of what I need to be doing. And for the most part I was starting to feel relatively comfortable with it once I started getting estimate requests. Iíve seen a few comments in the last week or so that made me second guess myself though.

So for a commercial assignment Iím basically going to start with..

-Creative fee
-Then usage fee for the image
-And finally, the below the line production fees with markup.

Correct?

Now for editorial.. I keep getting either vague answers, or contradictory info regarding creative fees. I have been under the impression that for an editorial assignment based on ďday over space rateĒ creative fee isnít applied. This being the reason why editorial jobs are typically considered low paying. The creative fee is the privilege of having my name in print? (haha)

Say the magazines day rate is $500. And the usage for the single shot they select is $2500 for a one page. I will estimate/invoice for..

-$500 day
-Plus the $2000 difference for the usage
-Then all the production fees plus markup.

Is that it?

Iím also a member of EP, but wanted to post this here just to get a different perspective then what Iíve been getting from those forums.

Thanks

Ryan Puckett
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an assistant, I've seen a few invoices go out and fees negotiated. Usually the magazine has a set budget...and you either do it for that price or don't. Sometimes you can negotiate a little more if they really want you to shoot it but it's typically set already. YMMV

The benefit is that it allows you to be the creative force which is why people will shoot it for lower than commercial prices.
Ashley
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shanekislack wrote:
Usually the magazine has a set budget...and you either do it for that price or don't. Sometimes you can negotiate a little more if they really want you to shoot it but it's typically set already

True.
Because it's based on their usage requirements, which is usually the same.

shanekislack wrote:
The benefit is that it allows you to be the creative force which is why people will shoot it for lower than commercial prices.

Sort-of true - but there are other reasons for doing editorial work too, e.g. it's part of your portfolio & what the world well see you for.

However, the main reason why they (the magazine / the client) will pay you less for your work, is because of what I said above i.e. their usage requirements.
They usually only need to use your work in one issue, for one month - and usually only in one country too.
So they are talking about less than standard use of your work here.

International publications with worldwide circulation will usually pay more, because they require greater Territory of use.

For national magazines, typically you would be looking at BUR-50%, because it is considered to be about 50% of standard use.
(Note: here in the UK, standard use is considered to be either 2 media for 1 years use or 1 media for 2 years use, in 1 country.)

Commercial clients, on the other hand, will usually pay you more - because they usually need to use your work more, e.g. for use in Multiple media, for 2 or 3 years, in various countries.

So it's to do with the amount that they want to use of your work - because that is what will determine the value to them.

Little use = little value.
Greater use = greater value.

So the Media use, Period of use & Territory of use are therefore usually the 3 key things that will determine the amount they are prepared to pay you - for the use of your work.

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: