Using Assistants?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie wrote:
I don't care if you want to call the number the BUR or "the parson's beanie"--the simple fact is that works out to about $525 per image (US) and that is not even what you'd likely get for editorial usage alone for a small image.
And editorial is the worst paying.

Getty has a generic outdoor pool shot... I priced it and just for the web use and just in the UK (not email even) for two years, not the home page and not full page or anything like that. Their number? $1385. For one shot. And that is just usage!

Moreover, you are rolling in your production costs into that number.
Therefore, you are simply undervaluing the placement value plus you are undervaluing the production value. That is a whole bunch of bad business.

I guess some of us have to work in the real World Leslie - which means getting real about who our clients are and what their budgets are likely to be - if we want to be given the "Opportunity" in the first place - to produce & provide images, that they will want to use - in possibly other media or for longer or in other countries too - which is often our goal.

So to me, it's about the Value to them - and trying to determine what that is, when negotiating the deal - rather than looking-up to see what Getty would like people to pay them, in an Ideal World, for the use of a single image, that has already been produced.
A figure, which no-doubt, Getty and most other Stock Libraries would massively discount - in the current economic climate, which is very real - especially if you were to ask them for 36 images, as opposed to a single image.

The Association of Photographers (AOP) have published a book called Beyond the Lens, which talks about the BUR pricing system - which is a well thought out and logical pricing system, based on current trade practice - and it gives photographers guidelines, as to what they should be aiming for, when negotiating a fee.

I would highly recommend other photographers - especially those working on this side of the pond - buy and read it.
(As oppose to looking-up to see what Getty would like people to pay them, in an Ideal World, for the use of a single image, that has already been produced.)

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: