porfolio paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: porfolio paper Reply with quote

I've been printing my portfolio on Epson Velvet Fine art paper., mostly because a big majority of the photogs I assisted did it. This is really good paper but I'm not sure it's the best for my type of image. My images are pretty punchy and Matte paper by design is a little less contrasty with blacks that aren't as saturated as they could be. I think it looks great at a decent distance but the bumpiness of the paper can look sorta weird up close.

Do art buyers give any credence to the type or quality of paper?
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I visit do. I use Hahnemule Photo Rag Duo on Brook's suggestion and it looks great. I have a pack of Ilford Lustre duo but haven't experimented yet with it.
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do art buyers give any credence to the type or quality of paper?

They do to some degree, but probably far more so if you make it a selling point. It's a part of my written sales pitch that my prints "are produced on Museum Grade Somerset Velvet, an acid free, 100% cotton paper".

So even if the paper didn't matter to them before, they become more likely to believe that it does matter and that it matters to me in creating the best product I can.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that it depends on the subject matter. People work, portraits and 'softer' subjects may look better on a matte surface, while hard edge subjects, like architectural work or cars or products might look best on a lustre or glossier surface. I had my commercial work printed on lustre and a project I did in Cuba was matte...2 separate portfolios. If you have both kinds of work in one portfolio I'd choose one and stick to it.

Whatever you do don't stick the prints in plastic sleeves.... Mad
stevencrawford
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Plastic Sleeves Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you mount your prints in your book? Do you print on two sided paper?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: