2 week time-lapse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: 2 week time-lapse Reply with quote

I am working on setting up a job where I need to do a time-lapse over a two week period as a 'show car' is being put together. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I could buy a couple medium priced P&S cameras, I hear that the canon G9 has a good time-lapse program built in. Or I have the Canon intervalometer release and a "Time Machine" unit to connect to other cameras with the right plug. I could get a D50 or something similar so I don't have to tie up my regular cameras up for two weeks. Obviously I'd need to plug the camera into a AC power source.

Any recommendations about camera(s).? I like the idea of setting up two or at least moving the camera halfway through the build up....
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer about what camera to use, but my opinion on the process is don't move the camera halfway through. Use a second camera instead.

I've done numerous time lapses on construction of homes and large buildings. (I had to work out systems for perfectly reframing a scene) The single point of view from start to finish is wonderful and you'll regret it if it jumps to another view and abandons the first.

Be sure to leave plenty of air in your starting frame for the progress and peripherals. There's always going to be more than you expect coming into the picture.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about keeping the camera in one place. I'll have to use 2 cameras. What camera - timer did you use on your timelapses?
Looks like the compact cameras like the G9 10 11 can be hacked with a program to allow unlimited frames, the default mode only allows 100 shots (I think)
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One project, a 54 story building took almost two years so, I didn't leave a camera in place but worked out schemes for careful matching of my viewpoints.

Others didn't take as long but I used my good cameras.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue with the G9 is that you only have two choices, one or two second intervals. I think on a project that long, that is going to be way too fast.

Unless the hack does it, the last model to do time lapse is the G9.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I cold find out the hack would work on G9 10 and 11...But I don't have one of those. I rounded up all the stuff I need to make my classic 1Ds work, set to shoot small jpegs...oh how the mighty have fallen!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: