iPad Friendly Website Design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harkins Photo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: iPad Friendly Website Design Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has found a format that works for them for the iPad and iPhone markets with their web site design.
I like hosting my own site and use a web designer for the work.
I don't really want to switch to Livebooks or similar sites as I am limited to the amount of space. I have read that 980 pixels wide is best for the iPad. Anyone else have tips I could use and pass along to my designer?
Thanks,
Kevin
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no magic resolution for the iPad. Safari scales whatever it finds, short of flash.

Pull up this board on an iPad. It scales correctly and works just as it should. It was developed (mid-90s) long before the iPad was conceived of, much less existed.
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPad and smart phones are using HTML5 so there's a lot you can do with that to better prepare your pages for the various devices although they do pretty well anyway.

Dreamweaver has a new HTML5 extension that includes a partially automated process to set up style sheets for various screen sizes. I just built a couple of sites, for instance, that have the font sizes shift downward a bit, some images scale a bit smaller and some graphics simply don't show. It is nice to make adjustments for more of a tailor fit.

Hover affects are also out since your finger doesn't hover on the touch screens. That eliminates a lot of effects, but also means some links may not work at all if they include a mouseover.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Cook wrote:
iPad and smart phones are using HTML5 so there's a lot you can do with that to better prepare your pages for the various devices although they do pretty well anyway.

Any current revision web browser is using HTML5. It's no more supported in mobile browsers than any of the rest. HTML5 is transitional and dies in any browser that's not current.
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support of HTML5 in various browsers is still very spotty, especially in Opera and Internet Explorer. If you eliminate iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Palm, it's also spotty on smart phones.

There are a number of compatibility charts such as: http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus/

Safari's Webkit is the most up to date. Most of the others lag badly on the recognition of element tags. If you try to use the new header and footer tags, for instance, you'll find out really fast how far behind some browsers are.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your designer builds with WordPress, then you can get some of the functionality and portability. I highly suggest keeping WordPress on your own server agreement, so you keep your URL.

http://www.padpressed.com/

Here is an interesting idea that works within WordPress developed websites. This is very new, and more tablets are likely to hit the market, though it might be a nice solution.

What I am finding is that WordPress is a bit of a moving target. I am working with a designer on my own website using WordPress, but the ways of adding content seem a little strange to me.

If you are super busy, then a packaged solution like LiveBooks makes more sense. However, I do think that LiveBooks is not always the most economical choice, which is why I am working on a more custom solution with a local designer.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Harkins Photo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks on all the replies to this. I am realizing just how web inept I am and thankful for using a web designer.
Gordon you touched upon the big problem. Do I resort to using Livebooks and then run a secound site for my clients to view their jobs on.
I would be interested on what others do.
I also blog and have been using the wordpress.com site. It was easier to start a blog right away and just use what they offered instead of hosting it on my own site. That may change but for now I blog on it because of the ease of use. Gordon should I consider a wordpress design for my site?
I like the idea of changing my site images easily and updating as my present site is sorely needing an update.
Thanks again,
Kevin
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use wordpress it's a blog, not a website. I hate to be a stickler for terminology but you want to understand the distinction or you'll sound unprofessional when you're talking to a client that knows the difference.

Of the many things a blog is good for, images galleries for clients is definitely not one of them.

And if you're working with a real "designer" he should be able to answer all these questions. But then, much like photography these days, all it takes is a business card and suddenly you're a designer.

(posted from my iPad)
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I mention WordPress at all is that it is evolving. The basic idea is strictly a blog, and using it for image galleries is not really conventional. So I still think you need a designer to guide you through this.

http://www.graphpaperpress.com/

Graph Paper Press offer various customizable templates that can allow image galleries. Some of these offer a more blog like experience, if you want it that way, or you can go more just to an image gallery layout.

Again, this is evolving and not what it was even a year ago. It's a bit new to me too, which is why I highly suggest working with a designer.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon my point is that a Blog is a unique set of code and templates that create a layout based on, and limited to, the templates. It's extensible through plugins but the core structure is still the limitation.

A wordpress site will always be linear with a 2 or 3 column layout. Yes you can create many derivations of the fundamental layout with a plugin, but they only reformat parts of a page, not the entire blog.

A php or HTML based website is a blank canvas and carries none of the layout limitations of wordpress.
Harkins Photo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC good points. My "designer" gives me limited access as he works at a day job doing this and I am his side business. So getting what I want quickly just does not happen easily.
Which is why having some easy way of changing images and design would be nice but keeping it available to all the viewing platforms coming out.
Gordon the Wordpress template link you showed is one I have looked at.
It might work for my needs but I hate to lose the look of my present site.
I just don't know enough about code to change things myself.
I keep trying to avoid taking a Dreamweaver course and having to do all this myself but it seems inevitable.
Thanks,
Kevin
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What led me to this point was several creative directors and advertising people I know commenting that my old website didn't work on their smartphones (mostly iPhone, but a few Android, and two BlackBerry phones). So the first thing I looked into was how to solve that, which led me to the idea that I needed a separate mobile friendly website. Even with someone else coding it, I would be stuck with uploads to two places.

So I talked extensively with a local web designer friend of mine, and he is the one who pointed me towards WordPress. He also compared it to two Flash based platforms, though with phones and the iPad not doing Flash it seemed like a bad comparison.

My schedule lately has hindered my ability to get my site completely up and running as I would like it. So I am now in transition and need to post more images. Posting to WordPress is nothing like I use to do with an FTP connection and my previous layout, so there is a semantics and procedures learning curve for me. Time spent now to save time down the road, while staying in budget.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
Harkins Photo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon you helped bring it back to the original point of my post having a site that gets viewed by those using iPads and iPhones. One of the magazines I shoot for recently changed their site to a wordpress template. It now makes it easier to update the site by their own small staff instead of waiting for overworked web designers. Wordpress is starting to look like a good alternative and maybe the right designer can make it work for me.
Thanks on your thoughts.
Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: