No grain/grain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirbo45
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: No grain/grain Reply with quote

I've got a mystery to solve and would appreciate any help. I have a digital image that I am trying to upload to my lab and on my desktop it opens up and is nice and sharp with no grain up to about 20 x 30. It is about 6.5 MP and at least 300 DPI. When I put it on the lab website for uploading it becomes very grainy. Almost like the old tri-X enlarged 50 times. Anyway, if anyone can explain this I would appreciate it. Question
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it looks grainy when you upload it to their site, what are you looking at? Is the person downloading it on the other end telling you this, or are you viewing some sort of proof image on the web site?

If it's the latter, I would say you are fine, it's just the way the web site displays the image.

One other thing though... There's no way your image is 6.5 MP AND 20x30 @300dpi. Do yo mean it's 6.5 MB as a compressed JPG?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kirbo45
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is actually 6.5 MP but I just enlarged it on my screen to approximately 20x30 to see how well it would handle that size. It is a jpg and I am having my lab do some prints of this and other jpgs of the same size and got some 16x24 prints that are really quite spectacular. Anyway, I am viewing this image on the lab's ROES ordering site and it looks really awful. I sent it to a friend with a MAC and he said his screen shows it as sharp and grain free as mine. So that is my dilemma.
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust how it looks in Photoshop, not what it looks like in their preview.. The Mpix software isn't doing anything to the file that would effect it's sharpness or noise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kirbo45
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information. I will proceed with the lab upload. I just put it in Photoshop and it appears ok so no worries. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: