Anyone using Blinkbid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Anyone using Blinkbid? Reply with quote

I am thinking of changing over from Photobyte but the layout in BB is painful to look at, while the PB layout is much more 'elegant'.

Are there other templates to use in BB or is the default on the only one? I know it's supposed to be the 'industry standard ' but to me it looks like something you'd get from Big O Tires....
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question on BB, but InView remains fully customizable in the look of the reports and has significantly more advanced Contacts management.

http://HSLtd.us

Disclaimer: I'm the developer.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Gregman
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it and i totally hate the thing. the interface bugs the hell out of me and the way the estimates/invoices look are terrible. I almost never actually send estimates out from the program as I have my own template that I use in Illustrator which is all nice and clean and simple looking - unlike what comes out of blinkbid.
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought I was being too picky...The estimates and invoices look like crap. I like the Photobyte look and even the template from "Numbers" is 500% nicer than BB....In an industry that is sooooo dependent on on image and branding and style, this surprised me how awful it looks.

It's funny, they must have spent the design budget on the cool looking logo, I was expecting more.
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you all given pause to the idea that BB is an "industry standard", such as they are at this point... and the likelihood is if you speak with a negotiator/rep, they will have BB instead of an alternative?

Do you have much need/experience with BB's ability to share jobs so that multiple participants can edit a single doc?

Does BB manage your clients' contact info and legal boilerplate, and generate docs well, but you just don't like the look of the final invoice? If so, could you replace the invoicing part of BB with something relatively cheap (e.g. Billings), and have the best of both worlds?
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlafferty wrote:
Have you all given pause to the idea that BB is an "industry standard", such as they are at this point... and the likelihood is if you speak with a negotiator/rep, they will have BB instead of an alternative?

Do you have much need/experience with BB's ability to share jobs so that multiple participants can edit a single doc?

Does BB manage your clients' contact info and legal boilerplate, and generate docs well, but you just don't like the look of the final invoice? If so, could you replace the invoicing part of BB with something relatively cheap (e.g. Billings), and have the best of both worlds?

Right now I have PhotoByte which is getting a little wonky but will never be updated. Luckily it's flexible enough to keep up with most of my needs.
In 20 years I never needed the option of multiple people editing a single doc, and with something like an estimate or invoice I'm not sure how that would work.
I'd like to have all my eggs in the same basket, not having to change programs at the last step. Been there, done that, not fun.

IMO compared with PhotoByte (which IIRC was designed by Clement Mok - www.clementmok.com ) BlinkBid looks pretty awful...
elliottlewis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: The look of documents. Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just to explain the philosophy behind the Blinkbid output. First of all there is some customization that you can do in Blinkbid like adding your logo and adjusting fonts and sizes etc.

But the primary reason we haven't gone the route of a full blown design option for estimates and invoices comes from the advertising art buyers and account executives. What is seldom known is when an ad agency gets your bid they end up plugging your numbers into a larger internal spreadsheet that services the ad campaign.

When we developed Blinkbid we did a lot of research on the agency side. The art buyers unanimously agreed that they preferred plain documents that had all the numbers in all the same places on all the submitted bids so they could more easily compare apples to apples. We also found that art buyers and account executives don't like fancy looking bids for the very reason that they can be difficult to read when looking at bids side by side.

In the commercials production world they have a standard AICP form that is used for all bids from all companies so the people awarding the job can more easily choose who they want to work with based on comparing the bids. At Blinkbid we decided that our purpose was to offer an effective communication of the numbers.

Also consider in Blinkbid that you can easily produce an Advance invoice based on your bid, and you can also produce a summary bid or a combined summary and itemized bid.

We've kept our output simple and easy to read because that's what the industry wants.

Many thanks for your time.
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elliot
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The look of documents. Reply with quote

elliottlewis wrote:

When we developed Blinkbid we did a lot of research on the agency side. The art buyers unanimously agreed that they preferred plain documents that had all the numbers in all the same places on all the submitted bids so they could more easily compare apples to apples. We also found that art buyers and account executives don't like fancy looking bids for the very reason that they can be difficult to read when looking at bids side by side.

Hi Elliot-
I can only imagine what the clients have to put up with when comparing bids. But when I tried the trial version of Blinkbid I could not find any way to adjust anything, or maybe there is nothing to adjust. I probably didn;t know what I was doing... Whatever I did, it kept that clunky look, to me it just looked awkward, but if that's what the buyers want, that's what they want.
I hardly consider Photobyte to be "fancy looking" and compared to some home made things I have seen (from something that was in a custom folder and looked like the menu from a French restaurant to lined notebook paper), I think it is simple and clean, but also easy to read. Too bad it's out of bizness. I guess once the wheels finally fall off the old computer that PhotoByte is on I'll take another look at BlinkBid.

OTOH your logo is really cool looking. Very Happy
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool for responding here personally, Elliott -- thanks.

Mike: after downloading the trial, I'm really amazed you use Photobyte as a UI reference. It looks like it was designed on a TI-85 Very Happy
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Well I think BlinkBid (other than the logo) looks like it was 'designed' on Timex Sinclair 1000 Razz

I'm just amazed that PhotoByte is still doing trial downloads. I thought they was dead Laughing
davegilo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to mix PB and BB together
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: