Rates and Usage: National Magazine, Single Page Opener?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Rates and Usage: National Magazine, Single Page Opener? Reply with quote

So... Very Happy

I may soon be working on the opener for an article in a national magazine that features tutorials every month. Each tutorial opens with a "beauty" shot, where they take their subject and they get a photographer to shoot it in a heightened, stylised way. Then, a separate photographer shoots the procedural shots.

What should I expect in terms of a "day rate" for such a shot? I know from speaking with some seasoned older guys they'd either billed by day or by page, and were throwing numbers out there like $1,000 for the day, or page rates for less per page, but a greater total overall. What would you expect is realistic?

Also... what should I expect usage to look like? My hope is to go in there with my own usage terms put together as a package within my paperwork, and negotiate toward what they want. But... does anyone here have a starting point? This is a fairly big magazine with a fairly big print media organization -- kind of like a Conde Nast, but with different specializations.

Thanks, brothers Smile
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get an estimate signed for projects whether Advertising or Editorial. The AD usually has a specific budget which accounts for the number of images and the size/pages needed. I try to get as many details as possible then email the estimate. Be very specific about the use so you're not surprised when you see an image on their website, subscription cards or reprints. I actually relicensed images to the original Client because I had my paperwork in order.
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcphoto wrote:
I actually relicensed images to the original Client because I had my paperwork in order.

Did they every hire you again ?
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did and I charged them half the fee that I found on my pricing resources.
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're fortunate. It's been my experience that the type of client that's trying to avoid paying appropriate rights doesn't come back if you confront them about it.
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the scoop today -- from someone who shot regularly for them in the recent past. Modest day rate plus expenses. Scales upward if you shoot features or the cover. 1 year embargo on the images (!). Nice people to work for, though, and a nice in.

The photographer I spoke to advised I look for ways to get more revenue coming in, e.g. from billing for equipment I own. Not an option yet, but good to know.

Also, and FYI this guy is a known commercial shooter featured somewhat regularly in PDN, big clients... I asked him about his approach to commercial clients and sharing work, he said: "There's no set formula but I'll tell you the first 8 images on your site need to be killer... Google Analytics shows a huge dropoff after 8 images. Don't get caught up in "flow" and all that, just kill it with the first 8 images. People always say finish strong? Finish strong means finish last."
Ashley
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
Well you're fortunate. It's been my experience that the type of client that's trying to avoid paying appropriate rights doesn't come back if you confront them about it.

To avoid misunderstandings down the road, try using this type of form:

Which you can find here: AOP Downloads
It's easy to use and simple for any client to understand - so everyone knows what the deal is.

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: