Photo Feature in Russia Mag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack English
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Photo Feature in Russia Mag Reply with quote

I got hit up this week by a person in Russia wanting to do a 8 page photo feature and interview on me in a Russian photo magazine.

There is no pay and at first I said yes. Then the person picked out 30 images of mine (from my two websites). And now come today I have had a change of heart. By no means am I trying to be drama, but my gut just felt weird sending this person 30 raw images to a Russian magazine. I went to the mags website, and of course it is all in Russian.

To me my images mean so much to me and there are so many scandals in the world and for me to just hand over these images where I would have no control over what he could or would do with them.

Your take?
www.jackenglishphotography.com
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you send raw images to anyone? Let alone 30?

What sort of "scandal" would your pictures be involved in if you did send them, other than them using them all over the place...?

Never had a feature done on me but is the 0$ or 0руб payment common for stories about yourself?
Jack English
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Why would you send raw images to anyone? Let alone 30?

What sort of "scandal" would your pictures be involved in if you did send them, other than them using them all over the place...?

Never had a feature done on me but is the 0$ or 0руб payment common for stories about yourself?

1. Being digital I send raw files as to what else do you suggest? Those are the highest resolution and they can color correct how they want.

2. Ok

3. What is 0py6?
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

руб is Russian money Rubles (according to currency symbols.com Very Happy )

I think the only time I have sent raw files to anyone was to an ad agency when the shot was going to be added to a different background. I send pretty hi rez jpegs or sometimes tiffs. Don't you want to be sure they at least know how YOU want the pictures to look, so the blue green water is blue green and not royal blue. If thee f*ck it up later you at least gave them good colors and cropping to begin with....

Is there usually payment for stories about yourself run in a magazine. I can see both sides, the xposure they are giving you could be valuable but OTOH you are giving them free content... Confused
Jack English
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
руб is Russian money Rubles (according to currency symbols.com Very Happy )

I think the only time I have sent raw files to anyone was to an ad agency when the shot was going to be added to a different background. I send pretty hi rez jpegs or sometimes tiffs. Don't you want to be sure they at least know how YOU want the pictures to look, so the blue green water is blue green and not royal blue. If thee f*ck it up later you at least gave them good colors and cropping to begin with....

Is there usually payment for stories about yourself run in a magazine. I can see both sides, the xposure they are giving you could be valuable but OTOH you are giving them free content... Confused

I have been sending images to magazines worldwide for over 10 years now and not once do I recall a magazine making the colors terrible. To me they have there own vision as how they want the images to look. I do have photographer friends that color correct there own images before they send them out and are more anal then I am on how they want them to look. At the end of the day I am dealing with quality magazines and I know they are going to do there best to make the images look there best.

I guess it varies on getting paid for stories on yourself. This Russia piece, I was into it at first as they were going to give me a 8 page piece. I guess you have to pick and choose what you want.
Troyer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Hey Jack! Reply with quote

Hey Jack,
A few years ago I had the same thing asked of me but in India. I ended up sending about 25 images . I had the same concerns but it ended up being great. They actually called me and did a phone interview. They did the spread and mailed me a few copies. I also got a hell of a lot of traffic to my site that I would have never gotten and made some print sales from that as well.
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad part is that it is in Russia, and copyright protection is nearly non-existent. I have many Russian friends, and they are great people, but when it comes to business in Russia, that is another situation. If someone does decide to use your images further, you can almost forget about any type of challenge against them.

I would try to get some upfront agreement in place. The other aspect is to consider what it will do for you to get your name in Russia, though partially that depends upon their circulation and demographics. Anyway, be very careful.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Ashley
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Photo Feature in Russia Mag Reply with quote

Jack English wrote:
I got hit up this week by a person in Russia wanting to do a 8 page photo feature and interview on me in a Russian photo magazine.

There is no pay and ...

.. I said: I'm sorry, I'd love to help, but that just doesn't work for me.

So they paid, a licence was issued and they ran it over ten pages.

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: