Strobe Kit Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t2d-Mike
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Strobe Kit Question Reply with quote

I just purchased a used strobe kit. Everything was working fine until I set my camera up to shoot outside in day light. Now, for the life of me every time I shoot with my strobes every singe image comes out VERY dark or some times even black. I tried adjusting the aperature, iso, shutter speed and even the evil green box auto mode. Nothing at all is getting the job done.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

The kit is from squire if anybody has any experience with these.

http://them2dudes.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
t2d-Mike
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I set the aperature to 5.6 iso to 1600 and shutter to 1/5th of a second and shot with a custom white balance, my images are where they need to be.

What would have changed from me being able to shoot at 1/120 and f8 at 400? I have always shot at night in my lit garage. Could the strobe kit be going bad or just a junk kit?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you using to sync the strobe to your camera?
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like operator error. How did you meter the flash out put? How did that relate to the actual exposure on the camera? What camera did you use? Custom white balance? Did you use a color card or guesstimate? At what shutter speed does your camera sync with flash units? Did you use a sync cord or a radio? It sounds like you're just warming up and didn't set something correctly.
t2d-Mike
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcphoto wrote:
It sounds like operator error. How did you meter the flash out put? How did that relate to the actual exposure on the camera? What camera did you use? Custom white balance? Did you use a color card or guesstimate? At what shutter speed does your camera sync with flash units? Did you use a sync cord or a radio? It sounds like you're just warming up and didn't set something correctly.

Exactly, I'm still learning

I'm using the pop flash on my XSI right now, I'm saving up for either a radio or a sync cable that will fit. the Cable I have now wont work with my camera.

I used my white backdrop to set the custom white balance since I didnt have a card or sheet of paper at the time.

Once I dropped my shutter speed down to 1/8 of a second i'm getting amazing shots. I used to be able to shoot around 1/120 or so and get the same result.

I'm positive it's something I'm doing after playing with it more this morning.

Thanks for the replies guys!

t2d-Mike
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem, I had to set my FEL... Looks like I'm going to be investing in the radio trigger soon.

shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t2d-Mike wrote:
Just an update. I set the aperature to 5.6 iso to 1600 and shutter to 1/5th of a second and shot with a custom white balance, my images are where they need to be.

This was your setting for daylight?
Richard R. Barron
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t2d-Mike wrote:

I'm using the pop flash on my XSI right now

If you are using the pop-up flash, it will set off the strobe kit before the shutter is open, since it sends out a pre-flash pulse to determine its exposure.
t2d-Mike
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any inexpensive radio kits anybody could recommend? I'm on a VERY tight budget right now.

Yes, the pre-flash was the problem. Now I have to hit the fel button to skip the preflash.

The quality is 110% better though!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: