Shouldn't we all be encouraging each other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Shouldn't we all be encouraging each other? Reply with quote

I will be the first to admit that these past two years have been brutal. After reinventing myself and teaching myself a new discipline, I was starting to build a Client list and enjoying the process. But, once the recession kicked into high gear I found that my Clients started disappearing. Their budgets changed and they were afraid to commission work and used stock.

I was never tempted to offer fire sale or lowball on my estimates but was a little more flexible on my fees and licensing. If I was paid to produce an estimate, I would have made it through this time more comfortably. I even had a potential client that really played hardball come back to me and wanted to restart our dialog on their project. But, as two years previous it stalled before I could quote a rate. They followed with, "we have shut it down for the year but will have something big in early 2011".

This is where I think that we should be supporting each other to be flexible in our business practices and continue to work on personal projects. It is too easy to give in and take whatever is offered but this period will pass. We offer images that add value to our clients business and we cannot lose sight of that. I may not have had a booking in quite a while but I will not give up. I know that my work has value but it's a very difficult time for businesses to spend.

Best of luck to everyone,
TC
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you... It's been slow here too. I have my waves of work that keep the doors open, but I don't really have anything booked right now. It's hard for me because I'm a chronic procrastinator and to tell you the truth, I'm pretty lazy. When it gets slow, I tend to spend my day fucking around in the internet, cleaning the studio, eating candy, drinking root beer, etc. I'm not doing what I should be doing, but funds are low and I can't afford to do some simple stuff like print some new promo cards and mail them, or even get my Adbase or Agency Access account going again.

Whenever it gets like this, Something always seems to come up and I get busy again, but one of these days, it won't. I hope it gets better before I give up. I don't think I make a very good employee. LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andréas
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shouldn't we all be encouraging each other? Reply with quote

Who is not having a hard time now???? What follows is part of an email that my wife received two days ago:

"A portrait can say a lot about a person, ... For just $60 (regularly $300), you'll get a one-hour photography session in Mxxxxx Pxxxxx's downtown studio or a location of your choice... five digital images, or five printed photos (one 8x10, one 5x7, and three 4x6s)..."

I have not reached this point yet, but ...

-- A.
http://twitter.com/andreasthanos
Mel Hill
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paid in wine...

nice but $$ would be better...
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks Ayola wrote:
snip... It's hard for me because I'm a chronic procrastinator and to tell you the truth, I'm pretty lazy. When it gets slow, I tend to spend my day fucking around in the internet, cleaning the studio, eating candy, drinking root beer, etc. I'm not doing what I should be doing...snip

Oh my god, I almost squirted root beer out of my nose all over the bag of M&Ms. Laughing

That hits way too close to home....
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it!
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Thanks Shane! :-)

On that note... I just got the news from my studio partner that they might not last much longer, which makes that $1000 a month I'm saving by being here sound like it might be short lived. fluck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I still lived in Woodland Hills, I could sub rent from ya! Crying or Very sad but nooooo, I had to move the beach...
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 25 years ago, I walked into a top art director's office when I went out on my own. I knew him since he constantly used the guy I was assisting. He asked what my date rate was...back then we quoted day rates. I told him and he said "Jon, you're the cheapest guy I've had come in here". I said "oh, I thought you said half day". We both laughed. 25 years later, I'm presented with budgets less than that.

Jon

Brooks, I'm promoting myself heavily...but cheaply. I started a blog, and every post to it I make, I announce to all of my Linkedin groups. Both my blog and Linkedin are free. I got a discount for my website at Sitewelder, and am paying quarterly. I got a discount from Agency Access, and am paying them quarterly. I wanted to get a new camera and use my D200 as a back-up...instead, I'm using my son's D80 as a back-up to my D200.
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks Ayola wrote:
I hear you... It's been slow here too. I have my waves of work that keep the doors open, but I don't really have anything booked right now. It's hard for me because I'm a chronic procrastinator and to tell you the truth, I'm pretty lazy. When it gets slow, I tend to spend my day fucking around in the internet, cleaning the studio, eating candy, drinking root beer, etc. I'm not doing what I should be doing, but funds are low and I can't afford to do some simple stuff like print some new promo cards and mail them, or even get my Adbase or Agency Access account going again.

Whenever it gets like this, Something always seems to come up and I get busy again, but one of these days, it won't. I hope it gets better before I give up. I don't think I make a very good employee. LOL

My problem is it's slow, but I sit at the computer and wait for something, a reply to a post, anything. I used to be in tremendous shape, lifting weights, doing aerobics. I need to get away from the computer where I snack on junk, and get back into the gym. I used to separate my two main interests...fitness and photography, but now realize it's got to be a combination. At 60, I need to compete with people half my age, creatively, I'm better than ever, but I just don't have the energy. The flip side of that is when I get fit, it boosts my over-all confidence, and that carries over to my photography. We need to keep at it...things have got to turn around!

Jon
Ashley
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shouldn't we all be encouraging each other? Reply with quote

tcphoto wrote:
This is where I think that we should be supporting each other...

"Ask not what your clients can do for you, ask what you can do for your clients".

So with that thought in mind...

Pianciano hamlet in Italy.
Doonbeg Golf & Spa Resort.
Lynch Hotels in Ireland.
The Burlington Hotel.
Castle Leslie Estate.

Which can then be used to help promote them & you at the same time.

Something to think about - and it won't cost you anything !!!

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shouldn't we all be encouraging each other? Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
So with that thought in mind...

Pianciano hamlet in Italy.
Doonbeg Golf & Spa Resort.
Lynch Hotels in Ireland.
The Burlington Hotel.
Castle Leslie Estate.

Which can then be used to help promote them & you at the same time.

All nicely done, as is the CityNorth Hotel you posted two weeks ago.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Mel Hill
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a real photo shoot yesterday from a client I've not worked with in 3 years!
Everything went well and the files are delivered all that needs to happen now is to get paid! Kind of a strange project 26 images illustrating 13 "do's and don'ts" of golf course pro shop management" AKA the Birdie and the Bogey

Hope things pick up for everyone!
megafunk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been spending time training my ex-girlfriend's son how to shoot proper video and mic a subject. I've had to throw him into the fire a little more than I'd like to but he seems to be getting it slowly enough. My immediate goal is for him to gain some skills and make a little cash. Long term is that he can work with me so he can lead video productions and I can concentrate on post. That day is a long way away.
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megafunk wrote:
That day is a long way away.

I read that Economists and the President declared the recession to be finished. Funny, I don't think my potential clients read the same article. One went through the whole quote dance with a hardball phase then reappears after two years with a more gentle stance. After a more cordial conversation, they shut it down for the year and promise "Big things for 2011". The other made a moderate stock license with additional licensing possible down the line. Unfortunately, they experienced a recall and cannot think past a few months when they need things in place for the all's clear stage. I better double check my website and links because I seem to be attracting people that shop on craigslist...

I hope that others have not shared my experience, it's not much fun.
megafunk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcphoto wrote:

I read that Economists and the President declared the recession to be finished.

That's great. Did they mention when depression would end because I certainly can't afford the pills?

It seems my boy didn't screw up the last job I sent him on so he was requested for another later in the month. These recent jobs were branched from a shoot that had gone badly near the beginning of the year. I had the boy listening while I spoke to the client so he could hear how I attempted to give solutions while not caving in to the histrionics of the client. The client eventually came back because of how the mistake was handled and recollection of the previous good work. So, the boy is getting a decent education at my expense since every job I've had him on has caused me to go into the red. He's learning skills, having a good time, surrounded by good looking chicks and getting a little bit of scratch. Do I even get a birthday card from the little bastard?

…He knows me better than that.

At least with him, I've been able to measure progress somewhat. Everything else has been glacial.
bruchi
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: work, lack of it Reply with quote

Been over a year I do a photo job and 4 years of nothing to talk about, goten so bad that I am setting up so I can start making burritos at home and delivering them...25 years and lots of sacrifices for this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: