Camera company wants to use me..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack English
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Camera company wants to use me.. Reply with quote

Here is the deal:

A "camera company" has selected me to be used in there campaigns in various magazines around the world for 3 years.

Pay me $4,000.00 and I get to keep all camera gear that they give to me to use for the shoot. (The gear they have promised me is around $13,000.00)

I am to supply copyright/portraits of the subject. Meaning "model release" I guess that the subject is ok of being used in these advertisements..

This a good deal to you?
www.jackenglishphotography.com
Leslie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack-- no one can answer that question but you and your lawyer. The contract has to be right (hence the lawyer) then the numbers need to be what you need the numbers to be--the value is very personal in a deal like this and difficult to quantify in comparison with others.

If what you are asking is what are the usual deals like this, then you need to contact people who have deals with Olympus or Nikon or Canon. I would email them directly since they are not going to want to share their numbers on a forum like this. Also, they may not be able to, depending on their contracts (could have a non-disclose clause).
http://facebook.com/burnsautoparts
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand, are you the subject of the ad or are you shooting it? It sounds like maybe both? Are you a spokesmodel Laughing
$4000 (plust whatever the $13k is worth) for three years use in national surf mags, I don;t know if that's a good deal or not, not knowing that part of the industry.
Do you need the gear, if not can you ask for the something you want? Can you get the cash value?

It's an interesting situation to be in but I sure don't have the answer. FWIW I think I might do it.
Jack English
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am kind of both. They are using my image, name, and signature to endorse there products.

Worldwide use in various magazines (not surf magazines). More so like Photo (Europe) American Photo, etc..

The gear they are offering me, it's like a kid in the candy store, "pick out what you want".. Once I get the gear in the mail I will let you know what I picked; something on the very high end...

Yes, I have agreed to sign the contract and knowing this will be great publicity for me and I hope things will come my way (work) from other companys seeing my images/name from around the world....
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Let us know when the ads are going to run. And what equipment you picked too.
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we see a 600 f4 in your future? :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vjp
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that these kind of endorsement deals can be VERY beneficial to you in the long run. I hope that it works out well for you and your patron.

I had an similar offer once. I asked my very well known photographer friend/mentor for advice as he was endorsed by them as well... needless to say the offer "went away". However I still see my "friends" endorsement inserts in nearly every photo magazine I open. I read the "Art of War" shortly after and it all became clear...

Congratulations on your deal.

vjp
PeterValk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Did you know that you are featured in a Dutch photo mag this month.
I bought it without looking and found out there was an article about photographing water and everything connected with it and there you are...
This is the second time someone from this forum appears in a Dutch magazine, first Adrian Wilson and now you.
When will it be my turn....? Sad

By the way, they do not have an online version of the magazine.
There is a site, but there's nothing there but some previews
( here's the link anyway: www.photodigitaalmagazine.nl )

Peter
Jack English
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter,
thanks for the heads up.. yeah, someone contacted me a few months and wanted me to answer all these questions.. i just told them to promise to use me/my images at least a full page... i never heard back from them so i thought they were over it.. it was one of those they were really consistent on getting my photos and wording, but when i wanted to hear from them they were never to be found...

do they have an online version, they make me look good? =)

thanks,
jack
PeterValk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

They used the same image you're using here in your profile, half page.
And about a half page of text about you and your surf photography, plus a small insert with "tips from the expert" like where you live, who you work for etc. Plus they mention ( of course ) your web site.
And a small photograph of you with what I believe is your daughter?
I guess altogether it might just add up to a full page, but the parts are a bit "scattered" over two pages.

And no, as I mentioned already, they unfortunately do not have an online version.

Good luck,
Peter
kendrikwiley
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know very well that there are many camera making companies in the market which makes exclusive as well as beautiful kind of camera.There are many purposes where the camera can be used.
plugsnpixels
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a great deal, especially at the rate things are going lately. Obviously get the lawyer's eyeballs on it.

Ironically, I was looking at some surfing mags just last evening while out killing time waiting for a food order to be ready. I don't normally read these... Wink I don't recall if you were featured anywhere or not since I didn't know your name yesterday, ha!
zanithpaul
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera is the most familiar word for everyone, today this is playing major role in the society, in everywhere we can see these things. This is very powerful weapon in this modern era. These are having several benefits and also specific usages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: