email marketing open rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: email marketing open rate Reply with quote

I use mail chimp to deliver my email promos and they claim the open rate for emails in the photo industry is 31.9%...mine being right around that.

How do you get more people to just open the emails. And why is it so low? I can understand that they may not click through if they don't like your work...but are there really that many people not even opening the mail?

On a related subject...what's a good subject line that is interesting, accurate and honest?
Leslie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

31.9% is high in the commercial photo industry. That number sounds like it must be wedding/consumer-direct as well. All the studies I've done and read put the number closer to 25%.

Click-through average is in the low single digits.

As for subject lines, buyers say they want no BS--say what it is like "Bob Photographer shoot for Aflac" or "New images from Bob Photographer." It's not very sexy, but they want the accurate info. You can play a bit, but don't try too hard because it isn't worth it.

Whatever you do, do NOT mislead with the subject line. Very bad.

Good luck!
-Leslie
http://facebook.com/burnsautoparts
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leslie,

Any idea why they wouldn't open an email? Just seems odd that they'd see an email and not spend the 2 seconds...even out of morbid curiosity...to have a looksee? Are they really deleting based on subject lines?

Does it count as an "open" if it's viewed in the preview of apple mail as opposed to actually opening the full email?
Leslie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the system about the "open in preview" counting. Most systems count being seen in the preview window, I would expect, as it is a often a function of server speed and "new email" scrolling. That is, for example, if they stay on your emil for like 3 seconds, and the whole email got loaded into the preview, it would be an open.

More tech crap I never wanted to know. Wink

Best thing to do is to look for "unique opens" if your system permits. You can get many "false" repeaters if someone keeps scrolling over your email to get to another email, for example.

As for not opening, they get hundreds of emails a day. Simple factor of time for most of them. They have to be almost heartless just to get through the inbox! That is why putting a great image that is visible in the preview window is so important--gotta grab 'em fast.

Good luck!
Leslie
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent my second email blast out this morning. My first one last month had a picture of a surfer, and my title was something along the lines of "When surfing the web...DeVaul Photography". This morning I just used "DeVaul Photography...New Work". I had 38 opens within minutes, but no click throughs. Some of the opens were local people who have already been to my site and contacted me previously about it. I haven't checked the other opens to see if they were "opens" last month, if so then maybe they bookmarked my site and don't feel a need to see it again.

Jon
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some advice from my wife who used to be a regional V.P. for a major
company. She said that Mondays are bad since people come into their office after the weekend and are swamped with emails. She said Tuesdays weren't a whole lot better. By Wednesday things are settled down, and Thursdays are good too. With Fridays, you have some people taking the day off, and others thinking about the weekend. If they don't open it on Friday, they may not see it till Mon. and you're back to the Monday being bad day. She said to also time it for early morning. A lot of people check their emails first thing and if they get busy, they may not check again till the next day. Just some advice from someone who would often have 400+ emails waiting for her on a Monday morning.

Jon
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my Agency Access account, and would like for someone to give me an idea of what might be going on.

An art director from out of state opened my email 10 times, but never went to my website.

A graphic artist whose company is actually on my street(about 2 miles away) opened my email 3 times, but never went to my site.

Does this make any sense? If someone has enough curiosity and time to open the email 10 times, why can't they spend a couple minutes looking at my work.

If the graphic designer from down the street is curious enough to open the email 3 times, why can't he check someone's website who is literally down the the street?

Jon

ps...I'm going to check Google Analytics in an hour(after midnight) to see if they show any visits to my site.
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Leslie answered it with the "false opens" she talked about. They probably have it in their inbox still and pass over it to get to other emails. Every time they do, it counts as an open.

Say your email is at the top of the list. A new email comes in and they delete it...taking it back to yours.
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shanekislack wrote:
I think Leslie answered it with the "false opens" she talked about. They probably have it in their inbox still and pass over it to get to other emails. Every time they do, it counts as an open.

Say your email is at the top of the list. A new email comes in and they delete it...taking it back to yours.

I missed that when I first read her post. It does seem like a good explanation. The good news is that they haven't deleted me while they're deleting the others Very Happy

Jon
vjp
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I don't see any surf shots on your site and "surfing the web" tag alongwith the shot is just kind of a cheezy pun. You are up against the best shooters in the country sending out e-mail blasts that are featuring creative and major campaign work and you have to be fresh. Your work is really photo illustration and I would just send a single shot with a "recently shot for..." and your name/site. If they like it they will look. The best AD/CD are the most jaded cynical people you will ever meet and they have seen everything. Clean, simple, professional and let them decide.

vjp
Leslie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't obsess so much over this! You can't hang on every open or click or you will go nuts!

Marketing is a long-term, slow process. You send this email, then another, then a print one, then a meeting, then another email, then another print, then a mini-book, then a video, then, then, then.

-Leslie
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vjp wrote:
Jon,

I don't see any surf shots on your site and "surfing the web" tag alongwith the shot is just kind of a cheezy pun. You are up against the best shooters in the country sending out e-mail blasts that are featuring creative and major campaign work and you have to be fresh. Your work is really photo illustration and I would just send a single shot with a "recently shot for..." and your name/site. If they like it they will look. The best AD/CD are the most jaded cynical people you will ever meet and they have seen everything. Clean, simple, professional and let them decide.

vjp

vjp, I have a section entitled "Everyday People". The 11th image down is an orange/sunset surfer(right after the boys baseball team).

As soon as the email went out last month, I had the same feeling about cheeszy...I'm all for the images standing on their own. Yesterday's email blast just said "DeVaul Photography New Work".

I have a shot of an old man sitting on steps leaning on an old pole(walking stick). I should say "Honest...this is not what happens to all of the Art Directors after working with me" Very Happy

Jon
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie, I'm already nuts.

Maybe I shouldn't check the stats every 5 minutes...and call the person right after they open the email? "Hey I saw you open my email, but you didn't click it. What's up? Don't you like me?"
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie wrote:
Also, don't obsess so much over this! You can't hang on every open or click or you will go nuts!

Marketing is a long-term, slow process. You send this email, then another, then a print one, then a meeting, then another email, then another print, then a mini-book, then a video, then, then, then.

-Leslie

Leslie, you're right. I find myself worrying too much. I tell myself that since I have had only 1 "opt out" that's a good sign. Also I've read(and totally agree with) continuing a marketing plan when times are really slow. I think you've said this in the past, and I receive Seth Godin's daily blog, and he said the same thing just recently also. There is a Cleveland area directory that allows you to have a free listing, but you have to pay for an add. I'm the only "creative" that bought ad space...no other photographers, no illustrators, no designers, no ad agencies. I'm hoping that this is a good thing, and along with my email blasts, followed up with a printed piece that will go out in early Sept., that when I call to actually make an appt,. my name will be recognizable.

Jon
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shanekislack wrote:
Leslie, I'm already nuts.

Maybe I shouldn't check the stats every 5 minutes...and call the person right after they open the email? "Hey I saw you open my email, but you didn't click it. What's up? Don't you like me?"

You can have some of those tough looking guys you've photographed pose for a mailer. The copy can read "Click Through or My Reps Here Will Pay You a Visit" Very Happy

Jon
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I wouldn't even have to shoot the job...they'd just collect money.
Simonwalden
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most opens are not "reads"
Many systems will zap your email as spam before it hits a human
Churn rate on dead email addresses is high, but you may not see them as dead, they just disappear.
30% read I reckon is pretty good
Click throughs of 1 or 2% are good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photo Marketing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: