Unprofessional Photographer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard R. Barron
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Unprofessional Photographer Reply with quote

I posted this on my blog and in an email to Petsen$e...

I am the Chief Photographer at the Ada Evening News in Ada, Oklahoma.

At a ribbon cutting photo this morning, a photographer representing the pet supply chain Petsen$e, who refused to be identified, physically shoved me out of the way without asking me to move. I found it both personally and professionally offensive. I told the manager about it, but the damage was done. It's the manager's job to hire, and take responsibility for, all the staff who represent Petsen$e.

If he had shoved my wife the way he did me, with her severe rheumatoid arthritis, she might have fallen and been seriously injured.

Fortunately there are PetSmart locations in Norman and Ardmore, both about 60 miles away.

Richard R. Barron
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments? I thought this guy was pretty offensive. Just prior to shoving me out of the way, he took out a refs whistle and blew it several times to get everyone to line up. He was one of the least professional photographers I have ever met.

(Sidebar: he was holding his camera like he didn't have a clue how to shoot.)
PeterValk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

O.K. I'll bite...
It sounds like you haven't done a lot of this type of photography ???
I've done it for years, although now all the shoving I do now is to get assistants and clients out of the way in the studio.
But in photojournalism we often revert back to Darwinism, the strongest survives, or in this case, gets the best shot.
I didn't have many problems back then, I'm six foot six tall and it takes a lot to move me out of the way Twisted Evil
But seriously, I understand your worries. In your case you couldn't really do anything back to the guy, you have your own reputation to worry about.
If this kind of thing happens again I would suggest stepping on the guys toes, hard! Purely accidentally of course. Wink
You might actually apologize after that if an important person is standing nearby, but make sure you get the message across.

Peter

By the way, did you get what you needed? That's what counts.
PeterValk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoving and stepping on toes aside, I might also suggest trying to talk to other photographers present before the event . Maybe you could have prevented this situation by introducing yourself and agree on who's going to stand where. Usually there is time beforehand and you are standing around waiting anyway, right ?
I know it's not always possible, but it's a start.
And in my case more often than not I had problems not with other photographers, but with television crews. They often have a habit of stepping forward for a close-up at the critical moment and there's nothing you can do about it. And their microphone booms can also royally ruin a shot.
But as I said, talking is better than shoving.

Peter
davegilo
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky that it was only a still photog, throw the TV media in there and it's like a TMZ circus.
Richard R. Barron
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterValk wrote:
Richard,
It sounds like you haven't done a lot of this type of photography ???

Just for 24 years. I've been in many situations where jockeying for position was unavoidable, and sometimes it got a little ugly. But this was different. I was standing in the middle of a parking lot in front of this business, waiting to squeeze off a frame of the usual plywood scissors ribbon cutting photo - a lame grip-and-grin - when this guy comes over to me, and without saying anything, puts his hand on my shoulder and shoves me four feet over. It wasn't a tight space at all - he was just being a dick. And like I said, if he had shoved my wife, whose knees are weak with arthritis, she might have fallen. Heck, if I had tripped, I might have fallen.

The point is, he needs to keep his hands to himself.
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a case of assault to me. If you were standing in a basically empty lot with lots of room around it sounds like he premeditatedly went after you. Come on really, this was a pet store opening(?), what does he need to have "the" shot for. Wait a second and move around a bit.
If you are upset about it, then file charges. I don't know how you could come out of it looking good though.
r
Mel Hill
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: some what off topic but.... Reply with quote

While shooting a college football game (that was on national TV) I saw a local photographer step on the sideline TV cameraman's cable. It was as if the cameraman had been clotheslined. Boom down he went....

The cameraman had pushed many of the photographers out of the way so he could get his shots the heck with the rest of us....

Payback is a bitch!
Richard R. Barron
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubs wrote:
Sounds like a case of assault to me. If you were standing in a basically empty lot with lots of room around it sounds like he premeditatedly went after you. Come on really, this was a pet store opening(?), what does he need to have "the" shot for. Wait a second and move around a bit.
If you are upset about it, then file charges. I don't know how you could come out of it looking good though.
r

That's how it felt, anyway. Still, I think he was being a butthole to everyone. He had a ref whistle, which he blew repeatedly to get everyone to line up.
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be happy with what you got and move on
PeterValk
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what other advice to give you and keep it legal, but I do know where this guys' whistle would have ended up if he would have tried to push me around. And his camera too.

But I agree with Bubs: let it go ( but remember his face )

Peter
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, you must be SA's girlfriend

Both are brave behind anonymity; no name, no portfolio, no website, no courage. Just empty boasting used to flame others.

Looks obvious to me like they're one and the same and should be shown the door.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Jon DeVaul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ShogunIdiot and Duh Q. I once wrote something on another forum about "internet bravado", you know, idiots like you, no websites, no nothing except a willingness to act tough on the internet to make up for your inadequacies both physical and mental. Show us what you do...go ahead, I dare you, post something. Go back and re-read your posts...neither one of you knows how to even spell...you're both idiots, and hopefully Brooks will kick you the hell out of here. I've already wasted too much time with you. Answer back anyway you want...I will not respond, I probably won't even read what you write...both of you are inconsequential jerks. Have a nice day.

Jon
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T O U R I S T
Frank Nagy
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brooks, get rid of these dudes. no sense of common courtesy and respect for opinions.
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Nagy wrote:
Hey Brooks, get rid of these dudes. no sense of common courtesy and respect for opinions.

He'll leave soon enough, once his mom gets home and finds out he's been on her computer. She's gonna be pissed ! Evil or Very Mad
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offensive posts have been deleted.

Let's keep this constructive and respectful.
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit! I guess I missed all the fun!

Sorry about that guys... I haven't been around for a while.

Thanks K.C.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check all of the other posts by the two members in question and although there is a lack of tact in a couple, I'll give them a chance to find some in the future. Until then, let me know if anyone is acting up.

Also!!!! Edit your profiles to include information that will show us you belong here. I'm not a fan of reading advice from anonymous people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brooks,

Would it be too much work for you to approve/disapprove new members? Not sure how often we get new members but it would be great if a website or something was required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: