Standard practices for Cookbook photography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shannono
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Standard practices for Cookbook photography Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to the Forum, Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this subject.

I have recently been offered a job to shoot a cookbook. This would be my first book job and before I put together an estimate there are a few things that I was wondering about.

First off, when it comes to usage is there a standard print run that would normally be the starting point for the initial Usage fee? 5000, 10000, 20000, etc. This particular book has already sold 15,000 copies and we have not even started on it, so I assume that it should sell well.

After the first print run are there standard increments in print run that I should list for additional usage? Would it be a percentage of the original usage fee or equal to the original fee?

Is there a standard number of copies of the book that is reasonable to ask for for myself?

These are the main things I have questions about but any advice on things I should be considering would be appreciated!
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I am in a similar position with a cookbook project in the preliminary stages and trying to learn as much about it as possible. I imagine that the Author/Publisher has a set number for the initial press run and that is the number that I would license. I would then be prepared for a second press run and a percentage of your initial fee to cover additional licensing. As important is the possibility of future projects down the road and building a long term relationship. I will also be negotiating a number of cookbooks for me that I will be sending out as promo pieces.
pixmaniak
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

like tcphoto said, the long relationship building is sometimes more important than the current conditions. Because if you have an agreement for longer cooperation then you can set your own conditions and better for you, you just need to build the trust first Smile
shanekislack
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as loyalty anymore?

Beware the "future project" currency.
Leslie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you get it in a written contract with a clear guarantee, never, ever, ever, ever buy the "do it for less now" line. That will only build an abusive business relationship, not a healthy, respectful one.
http://facebook.com/burnsautoparts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: