Image for Label on Product

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronald n. tan
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Image for Label on Product Reply with quote

How do you do everyone and thank you for reading my post. Before straight out asking for assistance. I want to assure that I have shown initiative and tried seeking the solution and not wanting to be spoon fed the solution.

Question: How do I price the following for a commercial usage on a produce label of a single photograph I took of one of my models. He's fitness guru and competitor and is launching his protein supplement line.

My initiative/thoughts: Factors that I should consider in arriving at my price:

--Size of Label (actual size of my photograph--he'll be an "unrecognizable" in the photo cropping out the head)

--Geographic distribution. Does he plan to market the protein product locally, regionally, or nationwide? He did mention that consumers will be able to order from the website. That alone indicates nationwide.

--Interim of Usage. 1 year. Mr. Ayola mentioned that normally image on products require longer that the usual one-year. Should I say, 2 years?

--Media. So far, I do not think he'll be advertising in magazines. He'll be advertising on his (store) website. I don't think there will be flyers printed.

My next step is the numbers. I know from reading Ms. Burns' contributions to books and Ms. Sease's tips on A Photo Editor, I can't pull random numbers out.

Question 2: Where do I obtain these numbers? I am not producing any new work. Usage is on a pre-existing image.

Please let me know if I need further homework to receive your help. Please feel free to email me direct at the contact info in the signature.

Thank you for your time I appreciate any tips and insights.

Best in health,

www.ronaldntan.com
contact@ronaldntan.com

+1 (347) 766-8262
Ashley
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Image for Label on Product Reply with quote

ronald n. tan wrote:

Question: How do I price the following for a commercial usage on a produce label of a single photograph I took of one of my models. He's fitness guru and competitor and is launching his protein supplement line.

You have two choices:
1. (Simple) look up to see what a stock library would charge for such usage - like Alamy - http://www.alamy.com
Find a Rights Managed (RM) image, click on the '$' sign and then fill in the details for the Selected licence:

2. (Not as simple) You determine the Licence fee based on your production costs, to do the shoot, using something like the Base Usage Rate (BUR) pricing system.
I usually use the BUR system when negotiating any fee.
Whereby your basic production costs equals your base rate for Standard Use - known as your BUR figure.
Your starting point when negotiating any deal.
In most European countries, Standard Use is considered to be 2 media, for 1 year, in 1 country or 1 Media for 2 years in 1 country.
As you are based in America (one big country), what would be considered as Standard Use may be different.

Anyway - for us - that's your starting point when negotiating the fee, which means at least your basic production costs are covered.
Then if the client wants more than Standard Use, you add (+%) to that figure to determine the Licence fee, using the AOP's guidelines.
Which can be found in their book Beyond the Lens in Chapter 5.

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably avoid Alamy for pricing anything. Try FotoQuote. You can also get an idea of what FotoQuote will end up with if you search on Photoshelter for a similar image and go to the "add to cart" button and fill in the variables. Photoshelter uses the Fotoquote programme to do its pricing but each individual photographer can adjust his/hers percentage of that Fotoquote number, so maybe take an average of a few.
Good luck
ronald n. tan
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to Mr. Morrison and Mr. Durston. Smile

About a day after I posted this seeking knowledge and wisdom, my model (now my prospective client), told me the following updated information.

The startup company will be using the label on a test run. They're making 180 of 5 lbs tubs of protein (whey for body builders).

At this point, I now have a "feeling" of how much to price since basically they're running a very limited test run.

In the mean time, I have bookmarked the links and will be checking for future references.

Thank you sirs. I appreciate your time to help me.

Cheers and best in health,

www.ronaldntan.com
contact@ronaldntan.com

+1 (347) 766-8262
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, good luck.
R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: