Who is your domain host and how do you handle biz email?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Who is your domain host and how do you handle biz email? Reply with quote

Hey...

One of those days - Site5 has been one of my two go-to hosting companies for a while now, but no more. Yesterday they lost 2+ years of IMAP emails on the server both my and my wife's personal sites are hosted on - catastrophic failure of the server and fouled up backup files.

This has me reeling - I've lost record of verbal commitments from clients, receipts from online purchases, to say nothing of personal correspondences that are irreplaceable. I woke up frustrated but am getting more angry as time passes and I'm realizing what's lost.

The funny thing? They've offered a free month's service in compensation, and the possibility of a personal phone call from their CEO. I'm contemplating the call just to let off some steam before I dump them as a host.

Anyway... so I'm wondering: how do you pros handle your email? Rerouting through Gmail? Or is their a host that offers a more secure system, guaranteed?

Thanks for all who are helpful Smile
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into FuseMail:

http://www.fusemail.com/
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That illustrates the problem with cloud computing. Accounts get hacked, catastrophic failures occur and companies quit business.

I greatly prefer having everything that matters on my own computers and backups. My backups include third parties to which I ftp files, but I always have my own email, images and other data right here.

On Mac or WIndows, there are several email clients that can access your email and save it to your hard drive for you.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently hosting at MySite.com and using their webmail system. I can download the e-mails later into Thunderbird (or anything really) to archive them. The next step for me is getting this to drive to a Blackberry phone, which I will have in June.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Cook wrote:
That illustrates the problem with cloud computing. Accounts get hacked, catastrophic failures occur and companies quit business... On Mac or WIndows, there are several email clients that can access your email and save it to your hard drive for you.

My email client isn't the issue, really -- saving mail locally is all a matter of using either POP3 or IMAP -- but POP3 doesn't really serve my needs for day-to-day.

After doing some research, I've found out that Google Apps will allow you to setup your personal email and have it pass through their server, so you get the benefits of their spam filter and data redundancy with your domain's addressing:

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

In the end, I think I'm going to setup POP3 on my laptop, and IMAP on my iPhone, and just occasionally check the mail with the laptop in order to keep local copies.

Hard lesson learned.
Elberta

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you try these site one of my friend tell me this hope this can help in you xxx.fusemail.com. However, you can try to search in online by using some search engine like google and yahoo. It is a big or little help if you can be found some info that you can be use as reference in your topic you have now.
t2d-Mike
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I host my own site, I'm a reseller through host gator. They have really good packages and in the 3 years i've been using them the site has been down once for about 20 minutes for scheduled maintenance.

I get unlimited mail and anything you could imagine. I would check them out!

http://them2dudes.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted I have switched over to One.com hosting for my site. Everything is now run through the latest version of WordPress. They have webmail, but I usually just pick up messages on my BlackBerry. When I am on my computer, then I download the messages through Thunderbird. I probably answer a third of my business e-mails on my BlackBerry now.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: