iMac vs Mac Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: iMac vs Mac Pro Reply with quote

So my G5 is 6 years old and I'm felling it.

I was thinking that I'd get the new Mac Pro so I went to the Apple Store and the guy I spoke with showed me the new 27" iMac. Because I don't shoot video, he said I would be really happy with the iMac.

I don't edit video. Although I guess some day I probably will have to learn but that's a different discussion.

The Mac Pro is obviously really cool, easily expandable, etc.. aside from hard drive expandability, the iMac does enable you to expand ram easily.

So if money was no issue I'd just get the Mac Pro but the idea of getting in at half the cost is really appealing to me. Also, with the iMac I might be able to get a new 15' laptop with I really need as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

rod
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are countless discussions all over the net on this. It really comes down to your priorities.

Pointing you to an iMac just because you don't edit video is a pretty short sighted perspective.

Being able to run an SSD boot drive, installing large backup and high speed scratch drives or creating an internal raid are all compelling reasons to run a Mac Pro. There is also the freedom to choose your display, and upgrade it later without abandoning the entire computer.

You should also consider the difference in over all performance.

You can find performance tests for the new iMacs and Mac Pros here:

http://barefeats.com/nehal17.html

http://barefeats.com/imac10v.html
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the road often, and need a solution that travels easier, so my main computer is a MacBook Pro. I have a slightly older last version G4 PowerBook as a back-up.

If I was not traveling, or did more studio based work, then I would consider an iMac. The screen is quite good, and if you add RAM and a fast external drive as a scratch disk, then you will likely find a quick working combination.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
It really comes down to your priorities.

As I said, personal preference is really the answer.
rod
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
Pointing you to an iMac just because you don't edit video is a pretty short sighted perspective.

Yeah, that's how I felt when the rep said that to me. Also the monitor comment is a really good argument,although the iMac display looked great.

I have an external raid already.

It's odd, there is something that feels off about having an "all in one" machine, although many people just use laptops.

I don't know...I'm rambling...

thanks for the input.
Mel Hill
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the 27" iMac i7 and looking to get a puck for calibration
most sources have pointed toward the coloreyes / spyder3 combo
any horror stories?

you can have SSD internally X2 if you wish and Other World Computing will also add an eSATA port (not hot swapable though)
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iMac display is quite good and will calibrate accurately. Any of the major brand calibration systems work well with it. They couldn't survive in the market and ignore the iMac.

Yes, OWC does offer drive mods. Just be sure you want to go to that much trouble for the small benefit. SSD drives launch the OS and apps quickly, but do little to benefit PS, C1 or LR once they're open. The esata mod isn't significantly faster than FW800 for long read/write of large files. If the difference is important to you then a Mac Pro is a better option all together.
Mel Hill
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skipped the SSD and eSATA options and went with some RAM and Coloreyes spyder3 combo
cuechick
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is the glossy display screen on an imac. I don't feel you can accurately judge skin tones and color corrections with it. I actually posted this topic, matt vs. glossy, on my blog. If your work is for web only, I guess it doesn't matter but if you work for magazines and any other printed media it does!
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the new 27" iMac and I'm ordering the new Xrite i1Display Pro to calibrate it. I'll be interested to see how well I can reduce reflections and get a good calibration.
rod
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that this thread is back, I ended up getting the Mac Pro, duel quad core with raid card, 8 tb HD, 16 gb ram and the NEC Spectracolor(26in?) with the built in color calibrator. Very happy with it, love the monitor WAY better than mac's monitor.

Rockin setup. New laptop in a couple of months.
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great work station Rod.

I'm planning on buying the Spectraview as well. You can plug one into the iMac and run it with it's own profile. With the Spectraview most of the correction is run within the monitor anyway.
rod
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KC,

Highly recommend spectraview. Great phone support, although you really need their higher level techs.

They guided me through the final tweaks and stayed on the phone the whole time..at least an hour.

rod
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about the NEC Spectraview right now is their colorimeter is the old Xrite design. I'm waiting till they offer it with Xrite's latest.

In the mean time my i1Display Pro will be here this week and I'll be interested to see how accurately I can calibrate the new iMac.

I figure it'll be a couple of months before NEC updates the colorimeter and then I'll invest in one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: