Palm Pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich Green
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Palm Pilot Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like I'm still using 8 track cassettes and 78 RPM LPs, I have a Palm Pilot that finally went kaput. It took care of my basic needs - phone numbers/addresses and where to be, but we know they don't make these things anymore. Yes, you can still buy one - I assume leftovers, used, etc. - but I want to move on. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.
http://rjgreenphoto.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/Rich.Green.Photography
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPhone. Seriously. Does everything your Palm did, does it better, easier, faster Very Happy Plus: email and web. Added bonus: it's a great portfolio, decent point-n-shoot, and also shoots/edits HD video.

If you don't want/need the $100/month AT&T bill, then I'd suggest an iPod Touch. Basically the iPhone minus the phone.

You won't fully understand the value of an iPhone/iPod Touch until you've got one. You'll start to find it can do things you didn't realize you needed until you've got it... like (iPhone only) geotagging photos while you're location scouting.
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having battery troubles with my Handspring Visor Edge (Palm Pilot) recently, and just went through the same issue. While I could likely find a good price on a clean used version, or a slightly newer Palm Titanium, I decided to go the smartphone route instead.

My two greatest needs were a calendar similar to the Palm Pilot were a calendar and note set-up. On a more portable basis I wanted mobile e-mail, good voice communications, world phone capability so I could use the same phone anywhere (depending upon fees), managing my investments, and easy to swap out battery.

I have been looking and trying out friends smartphones for well over a year, always with the idea of things I would want to move to a more expensive monthly plan. I never liked the grime and dirtiness of touchscreen phones, but beyond that I continuously found touchscreen typing a real chore. As many here know, I tend to type lengthy replies, so I wanted a phone that made that as easy as possible. I found that nearly all phones had too small a screen for any meaningful web browsing experience, but that is why tablets will be coming out in numbers this winter.

So after numerous trial runs on various phones, I ended up with a BlackBerry Bold 9650 (Bold 9700 on AT&T) on Sprint, with unlimited data plan, CDMA, GSM, EDGE, WiFi, and several other protocols, meaning any place on the planet could give me some sort of connection with it. What swayed me was the keyboard, which means fast and simple e-mail replies, and usually one touch (push) for nearly any function. Verizon has the same phone, though they charge more per month for comparable plan. I have about two months with this phone now, and would not trade it for anything else.

Of course everyone already has an iPhone, so there is the argument in favor of following the herd. There are also some fun games and apps for photography. If you liked games on the Palm Pilot, you will really enjoy them on iPhone. My BlackBerry syncs with iTunes, and other than Pandora radio I have no entertainment needs for my phone. Big screen phones work better for visual entertainment, though some of the Android choices offer a bigger screen than the iPhone.

I have a few friends with BlackBerry Storm 2 full screen phones, but again I just don't like on-screen keyboards. I recently played with the BlackBerry Torch 9800, which has a slide out keyboard, and while a much better touch screen, it has a more recessed keyboard that I found not as easy to type with as the 9650. I don't think the 9800 is that much of a change from an Android phone with slide out keyboard, or the Palm Pre smartphone, though it is bigger.

I think service is another issue, and I have many years of problems with AT&T for (land) business phone, business e-mail, and in the past web services. They really suck compared to other companies, at least in my opinion and experience. Verizon has been more friendly and has nearly the same US coverage and speed. Sprint is smaller, so they try harder, and are now less expensive on data plans, otherwise I would have went Verizon. Sprint really sucked years ago, and I think that is the overall feeling most people still have about them, but in the last year they have improved greatly; I rarely ever get dropped calls. Anyway, carrier and the ability to use the phone many places are other considerations.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Rich Green
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that a smart phone would be the suggestion. I liked my palm pilot. It was a low tech, easy to use approach, with no monthly fees. At this point I'm still not sure which way to turn. I don't want another device with a service that raises my costs. Everything! (referring to personal expenses) are going up and my income is stagnant. And I realize that business expenses are tax deductible but it doesn't help. The iPod touch is a thought.
http://rjgreenphoto.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/Rich.Green.Photography
James Cook
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't want/need the $100/month AT&T bill, then I'd suggest an iPod Touch. Basically the iPhone minus the phone.

I was just looking at them this weekend and they also lack the camera. Otherwise it's very impressive and includes Apple Mail and Safari so that anywhere you can connect wirelessly to the internet, you can handle email and browsing. Very handy in that.

Creator of:
METAmachine
FindAPhotographer
tcphoto
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at them this weekend and they also lack the camera. Otherwise it's very impressive and includes Apple Mail and Safari so that anywhere you can connect wirelessly to the internet, you can handle email and browsing. Very handy in that.[/quote]

If you look at Mac forums, you will find that the upcoming iPod event should reveal a new iPod Touch which has both camera and video. It should be available in a couple of weeks.
K.C.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe the speculation and everything will be new in a couple of weeks.

Apple has historically revised the iPod lineup in September for several years now.
Andréas
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the iphone (3G). I am not big with gadgets; I just care for music, communications and email. Apple screwed up my system with OS 4.0, and has turned a great device into a slow piece of expensive technology. Also, I am really annoyed that Apple will not let me view flash sites.

As soon as ATT allows me, I am getting the new Blackberry torch. Both keypad and touch screen. My wife has it, and she thinks it is great.

iPod, iPad, iTouch, etc., are attractive well designed pieces of excellent technology. As soon as Apple loses the attitude, I will be right there buying their next product. But not until then.

-- A.
http://twitter.com/andreasthanos
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andréas wrote:
I have the iphone (3G).
iPod, iPad, iTouch, etc., are attractive well designed pieces of excellent technology. As soon as Apple loses the attitude, I will be right there buying their next product. But not until then.

-- A.

Well that's not ever going to happen. Their attitude is a major part of their company philosophy.
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask: what's "the Apple attitude"?
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlafferty wrote:

I'm not saying that their attitude is a bad thing, as many companies, brands, businesses don't have any attitude. Many people are turned off by it , and that's why the Mac v PC debates happen.
Andréas
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlafferty wrote:

Since I made the comment... Smile quite a few things specially in regards to the iphone. First they made 4/0 available without warning us of the risks, and you can't really fix much without risking loss of data. Then is the maniacal control over the app licensing. There are many fine apps that Apple will not allow (unless of course you jailbreak your phone). For instance a nice photo app was rejected because using the volume button to shoot a horizontal image (instead of having to press the stupid round button) "may confuse users"!!! (that was the official explanation)

And of course let's not talk about this whole FLASH discussion.

Actually before the 4.0 OS fiasco (Apple's response really pissed me off), I was planning on getting the new 4G phone. But then again, you have to have the case (granted it is free) or you have issues with the signal (go figure).

Nah. The Blackberry will be my next phone.

-- A.
http://twitter.com/andreasthanos
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. Companies make decisions about their products that don't necessarily fit your vision of what they should be doing instead. That's not "attitude", it's just business.

Flash on any handheld device: good luck with that. As a part-time web developer, and full-time hater of Flash ads, I'm happy to live without it Smile
jlafferty
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As predicted, the new iPod Touch is out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: