RGB to CMYK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geek
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: RGB to CMYK Reply with quote

hey y'all
Does anyone know how to match CMYK conversions to their RGB originals? My retoucher is working on this but we are up against a tight deadline and I figure I might as well learn. I think eyeballing color is a really bad idea, no? Is there a formula and if so where does one plug in the numbers?

Thanks!
karen
NM
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: RGB to CMYK Reply with quote

geek wrote:
hey y'all
Does anyone know how to match CMYK conversions to their RGB originals? My retoucher is working on this but we are up against a tight deadline and I figure I might as well learn. I think eyeballing color is a really bad idea, no?

You want the CMYK to visually match the RGB after conversion? Not going to happen, the gamut of CMYK is far smaller (depending on the original RGB working space). You can after making the conversion attempt to tweak this a bit to get a slightly closer match but its not going to be anything like 100%. Duplicate the RGB doc to be your “before preview”, then setup a soft proof with the CMYK profile (prior to conversion), see if while still in RGB you can do some slight editing based on the duplicate “before” preview with no soft proof, you can get a tad closer. Then convert.
geek
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey nm, actually having done extensive research (including your response) i have gone back to client to tell them that this simply is not something my team can do and they should really speak to their printer about converting. even if we match perfectly on our monitors it still isn't going to match the printers so it's totally hopeless.

hopefully reason will prevail!

thanks for your help
karen
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geek wrote:
hey nm, actually having done extensive research (including your response) i have gone back to client to tell them that this simply is not something my team can do and they should really speak to their printer about converting. even if we match perfectly on our monitors it still isn't going to match the printers so it's totally hopeless.

hopefully reason will prevail!

thanks for your help
karen

Shocked At least the printer won't be able to blame you for the end result if they do the conversion. I think the second thing that a lot of printers do after buying a press is to make up a list of excuses blaming everyone from the photographer to the designer to the paper or ink maker to the little kid next door. Will they make a contract proof for you / your client?
The RGB and the CMYK won't match but if the CMYK looks good on it's own without comparing to the RGB it'll be ok...
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing along the lines Mike is suggesting. The best thing is to have the printer do a test print, press print, or match print (depending upon cost and time), then have the client view and approve that prior to the run.

I doubt most clients own a really good monitor with full calibration. Even if one did, the reality is that matching monitor to print is not the single best idea. When someone wants to know how a piece will look in print, then they should judge the final based upon a printed sample. Each printing shop will have equipment that they can suggest will give the best preview, so go with what the printers suggest.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
geek
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spoke to a printer as well as several graphic designers and all confirmed that the standard way to go about this is for the client to bring in rgb samples and have the printer do the cmyk match. the printer, in his own words, said "that's my job". so that's what i told my client. won't hear back til tomorrow morning but hopefully this is how she will proceed.

best
karen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: