Pricing for packshot photography

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
clemd
Forum Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Location: paris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a young photographer and I would like to get information on the usual pricing for commercial packshot photography in the US and in Europe.
How much would be the cost per item for 1 to 10 products; over 50; over 100; over 500 ?

Thanks for your answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 542
Location: Chatsworth (Los Angeles), CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

clemd wrote:
Hello,

I'm a young photographer and I would like to get information on the usual pricing for commercial packshot photography in the US and in Europe.
How much would be the cost per item for 1 to 10 products; over 50; over 100; over 500 ?

Thanks for your answers.

Some European in the crowd is going to have to tell us what "packshot" means. :-)

Aside from that, I don't know if there's enough info given to estimate this job, for me anyway.

What are the images going to be used for?

What's the scope of the production? On seamless white, propped, items bigger than a breadbox, smaller? Assistant needed? Stylist?

Are the items similar enough to shoot assembly line style, or is each item going to need different lighting and/or styling?

With some of the above info, we might be able to tell about how long it would take to shoot all of this and even if time should be a factor.
_________________
Brooks Ayola
Ayola.com
Brooks Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
clemd
Forum Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Location: paris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Brooks Ayola wrote:
clemd wrote:
Hello,

I'm a young photographer and I would like to get information on the usual pricing for commercial packshot photography in the US and in Europe.
How much would be the cost per item for 1 to 10 products; over 50; over 100; over 500 ?

Thanks for your answers.

Some European in the crowd is going to have to tell us what "packshot" means. Smile

Aside from that, I don't know if there's enough info given to estimate this job, for me anyway.

What are the images going to be used for?

What's the scope of the production? On seamless white, propped, items bigger than a breadbox, smaller? Assistant needed? Stylist?

Are the items similar enough to shoot assembly line style, or is each item going to need different lighting and/or styling?

With some of the above info, we might be able to tell about how long it would take to shoot all of this and even if time should be a factor.


Thanks for your answer.
Product would be smaller than a breadbox and on seamless white. No assistant needed and the amount of product to shoot per day would be 30.

I would like a scale, just to know what would be the cheaper price in the US for example.

Hope it helps you?
Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 542
Location: Chatsworth (Los Angeles), CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot similar jobs on occasion, and as long as the usage is for collateral (printed brochures and catalogs) and the company's own web site (no advertising/paid placement) I would probably shoot it for about $2000.00. The problem here is that there are other photographers close by that would do it for $500.00 and others closer to the city that might do it for $5000.00. There's no perfect number, and this is assuming that I could shoot 30 in a day (8 hours). The collateral is used within the US, with a one year limit.

If there was a need for advertising usage, the fee would go up depending on what, where, how long the usage is.

For less an more shots, it all depends... If you're working on a day rate model (after you've established a set usage license) then you can probably extrapolate from there, but I try not to do what would amount to a half day except for established clients.
_________________
Brooks Ayola
Ayola.com
Brooks Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
clemd
Forum Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Location: paris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks Ayola wrote:
I shoot similar jobs on occasion, and as long as the usage is for collateral (printed brochures and catalogs) and the company's own web site (no advertising/paid placement) I would probably shoot it for about $2000.00. The problem here is that there are other photographers close by that would do it for $500.00 and others closer to the city that might do it for $5000.00. There's no perfect number, and this is assuming that I could shoot 30 in a day (8 hours). The collateral is used within the US, with a one year limit.

If there was a need for advertising usage, the fee would go up depending on what, where, how long the usage is.

For less an more shots, it all depends... If you're working on a day rate model (after you've established a set usage license) then you can probably extrapolate from there, but I try not to do what would amount to a half day except for established clients.


Thanks very much for your answer, it helps me a lot. I know there is no perfect number but I found hard to evaluate these kinds of work.

Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ashley
Forum Regular


Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Take a look at either of these two companies info on pricing: The Original Packshot Company or The Packshot Company... and that should give you some idea.
_________________
Cheers,
Ashley

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
clemd
Forum Newbie


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Location: paris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Take a look at either of these two companies info on pricing: The Original Packshot Company or The Packshot Company... and that should give you some idea.


Thanks for the tips Ashley Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 542
Location: Chatsworth (Los Angeles), CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Take a look at either of these two companies info on pricing: The Original Packshot Company or The Packshot Company... and that should give you some idea.


Reading those sites was depressing. I take it it's hard to make a living as a product photographer in the UK. Not that's all that easy here either. :-)
_________________
Brooks Ayola
Ayola.com
Brooks Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ashley
Forum Regular


Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Brooks Ayola wrote:
Reading those sites was depressing. I take it it's hard to make a living as a product photographer in the UK. Not that's all that easy here either. Smile

These guys churn it out - "cookie cutting" is what I believe your guys call it.
_________________
Cheers,
Ashley

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com


Last edited by Ashley on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 542
Location: Chatsworth (Los Angeles), CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's not too bad if you can go that fast... Still, if you're paying an assistant and other expenses for the day, it better be more than three hours. :-)
_________________
Brooks Ayola
Ayola.com
Brooks Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular


Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 259
Location: San Diego & Houston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Brooks Ayola wrote:
Ashley wrote:
Take a look at either of these two companies info on pricing: The Original Packshot Company or The Packshot Company... and that should give you some idea.


Reading those sites was depressing. I take it it's hard to make a living as a product photographer in the UK. Not that's all that easy here either. Smile


I use to see a couple companies like that show up at the annual printing industry trade show. They had the same basic set-ups for everything, and were often the first to have the highest spec MFDBs (medium format digital backs). Usually the technology, or MFDB of the moment, was their sole selling point to potential clients. I have not seen a company like that for several years now, though I suppose that there are some still in Los Angeles or other major city centres.
_________________
Ciao!

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
K.C.
Forum Regular


Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 183
Location: Santa Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

Gordon Moat wrote:
...though I suppose that there are some still in Los Angeles or other major city centres.


They've largely been replaced with the art department at most of the catalog companies. The largest import company that I used to shoot products for just bought some gear and told the AD that it was his job now. The shots are generic and only passable quality, but they stopped caring about that after they got the last statement from me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashley
Forum Regular


Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing for packshot photography Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
... just bought some gear and told the AD that it was his job now.


The Studio in a Box Kit and the Desktop Table by Calumet, was all they needed too.
_________________
Cheers,
Ashley

Ashley Morrison
http://www.ampimage.com
http://www.ashleymorrison.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
tcphoto
Forum Regular


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 51
Location: Atlanta, Ga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, misery loves company. I had a number of estimates go out to Companies that needed product shots and decided to do their own in house. Needless to say, the quality went down along with their budgets and sales soon followed. I doubt that they will ever see the quality in a freelancer again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mike
Forum Regular


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 231
Location: Los Angeles, where fun goes on vacation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcphoto wrote:
Yes, misery loves company. I had a number of estimates go out to Companies that needed product shots and decided to do their own in house. Needless to say, the quality went down along with their budgets and sales soon followed. I doubt that they will ever see the quality in a freelancer again.


I used to shoot pieces and parts of cars, lots of little things, three frames and a polaroid 6x7...easy and very profitable. That all went in house. I am not sure the quality mattered all that much. As long as you can see that bracket J-46 has a bolt hole on the left side everyone was happy!

But hey it could be worse you could own a photo lab, I used to spend oodles of money every month, that all went 'in house' ...to me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 542
Location: Chatsworth (Los Angeles), CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
tcphoto wrote:
Yes, misery loves company. I had a number of estimates go out to Companies that needed product shots and decided to do their own in house. Needless to say, the quality went down along with their budgets and sales soon followed. I doubt that they will ever see the quality in a freelancer again.


I used to shoot pieces and parts of cars, lots of little things, three frames and a polaroid 6x7...easy and very profitable. That all went in house. I am not sure the quality mattered all that much. As long as you can see that bracket J-46 has a bolt hole on the left side everyone was happy!

But hey it could be worse you could own a photo lab, I used to spend oodles of money every month, that all went 'in house' ...to me


This is a GREAT point, Mike... I often complain about clients going in house without even thinking about how much I used to spend at the lab.
_________________
Brooks Ayola
Ayola.com
Brooks Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Paper work, paper work, paper work! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media