Prime lens In Your Kit--PART 2--Old Glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raymond A. Bleesz
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Prime lens In Your Kit--PART 2--Old Glass Reply with quote

In an earlier post, I had asked what were the "prime lenses" in your (preference Nikon) kit. I had asked the question because of the digital 1.6x factor as my "kit" is composed of mostly older AS Nikor manuel lenses, however, I have moved on to newer D100,D200 (still lagging behind) cameras as well as the following digital zoom lenses: AFf70-200, 24-120, 18-35, 12-24.

But what to do with my older glass which dates me back to F2'a & F3's, and an F100.

28, 35m 55Micro, 50, 105, 135, 180, and even a 35PC lens.

This of course dates me--the glass I have as well as to this question as I'm not in the for front of techie things as many of your are.

So what do you do with the old glass? Trade it in, keep it, purchase new prime lenses, sell it to a "youngster". I do miss some of my prime lenses.

I'm sure many of you may have faced this issue years ago---your insight & input would be appreciated. Thank you
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the old 105/2.5, 5 screw lense as being one of the absolute sharpest lenses Nikon had ever made. The 180/2.8 was also one of my favourites, followed by the 135.
I would at least keep the 105 if it is a 5 screw, egg shape lense.
r
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the D3 bodies can use those, you just have to tell the camera they are mounted. Funny thing is that I have nearly the same lenses, plus several more. I'm too much of a control freak to use autofocus.
Laughing

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Raymond A. Bleesz
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you for your reply--I'm now of the opinion of keeping my hardware (as I initially thought as the lenses are pennies on the dollar these days & attempt to use those lens upon the occasion.

Gordon, your response was good in particular. The major issue I deal with is my failing eyesight.

Hopla!! Raymond
Gordon Moat
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a magnifying eyepiece called the Nikon DK-17M which will help a bit on manual focusing.

I have often wondered whether the optional F6 focus screens fit the D3 series, because they offer more choices. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an F6 to test it out. Maybe if you find a store that has one you could test that.

Gordon
====================
Gordon Moat Photography
http://www.gordonmoat.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: