LR 4 concerns?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Nagy
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: LR 4 concerns? Reply with quote

I am looking for some opinions and solutions from working photogs.

Just upgraded to LR 4.2 on both my main workstation and laptop. I'll give the tech specs at end if you are interested. I have used LR since '07 to catalog and organize my files and do most of my workflow, if budget and expectations allow, the I hire capture techie and workstation MF back and gear and use C1, which also reside on my Laptop and Workstation. Things have been tickey-boo ( with the usual small techie glitches), workflow is logical for me, ingest cards or tethered, organize, rudimentary adjustments, edit , make selects, final post in LR, process raw to output, post in Photoshop (or outsource), deliver images. All this time backing up to my wazoo!

I expected my laptop, an older MacBook Pro, to be a little slower, and it didn't disappoint, ingests files ok but painfully slow making minor correction, both in Lib and very painfull in Develop. Can live with it until I upgrade the laptop in near future.

When I transfer to Main Workstation, a newer iMac, it's brutally slow in responsiveness to adjustments, sync speed seems ok, but making adjustments, time lag is really un-acceptable.

Tried checking out sources, the Adobe forums seem to be ripe with similar complaints, although most of them seem to be coming from "photo-enthusiasts" and not from working photogs. LuLa- same thing, if you wade through the tech-heads, wannabes, hurt egos, mundane nit-picking etc.

I am a fan of LR, works for me, but this is driving me up the wall, Some tech head said (in LuLa) he solved the problem, albeit very expensive one, absurd cost, a 3-d animator would envy the system Wink

Any one out there having similar issues with LR, or has solved the situation in a way that I am missing? I have tried almost all known and suggested solutions, but it's all for naught.

Would appreciate any insights.

Tech specs for those that are interested

Work station 27 "iMac. 2.93 GHz Corei7, 8GB, 1333 MHz DDR3, 260 GB (96 GB free)SSD HD for startup disk and all apps reside here as well as cache and scratch disk. 2TB HD (only half full), rest of library (archives) on 4TB Raid level 5, via FW, 23" matt screen Apple display (still don't like or trust the glossy screen )

Laptop 15" 2.5 Core Duo, 4GB 667 DDR2 500gb 7200 rpm HD only half full, I move the crap along regularly, my own system of Metamucil Very Happy
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trash all the previous previews before I start working on any new imports. On ingestion I don't bother with rendering previews (I do the whole shoot overnight after I add some basic global corrections).
I have each year set out as separate catalogues; around 60-75k images or just in and around 1TB. I keep things trim, delete rejects, purge caches and never run iTunes or anything else while I'm working. I have a 2x2.26 quad core with 16gb RAM, an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 220gb app drive as well as a 2tb stripped raid set for a scratch drive. It moves along pretty well with 5D mk2 files.
Frank Nagy
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, tried it, as well as other tweaks, seems decent enough but only when working on one set of images, the problem seems to be overworking LR, ie: exporting one set files, uploading a gallery to my server and making minor adjustment to a third! or any multi tasking combo. I know old versions were also slow, but I was expecting some speed improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: General Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: