Assistants rates are a very touchy subject
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Sanders
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim, This is quite true, started assisting with some great photographers in London who gave me the going rate they would accept. The better photographers offered more but I used to learn a lot who ever I worked with. After a couple of years and marketing myself, photographers would ask about fees, which I was able to charge slightly more. At that stage I used to set up everything and on some occasions take the photographs.
I made sure the fees were worth every penny.

TimothyHughes wrote:
As an photographer as well as an assistant, I can truly say, "you're only worth as much as you negotiate for". I know that's sort of a cliche, but if you're offered $150 per day you can either take it or leave it. That's my 2.
Carl Sanders
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to correct "better", should be changed to those who had more money to play around with from the client, not a reflection on their ability.

Quote : The "better", photographers offered more but I used to learn a lot who ever I worked with.

To note that mark up on assistant fees by photographers is their prerogative and would be none of my business as an assistant.

: )
vjp
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,

You do realize that this is a three year old thread, don't you? I think that you may be the only one participating. Besides me now, that is...

vjp
Carl Sanders
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Embarassed

vjp wrote:
Carl,

You do realize that this is a three year old thread, don't you? I think that you may be the only one participating. Besides me now, that is...

vjp
bubs
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my two cents in and see if I can't rustle some feathers.
My assistants here in Northern Ireland get 50 for the day. If I feel it was a long day or they worked extra hard or put extra effort into something I will throw them a few more. I always like to ask them if they had learnt anything throughout the day; most do, a few don't.
In Toronto I remember assisting and pushing the rate from 150 to 200, trying to weed out more of the catalogue work I was getting but didn't want to work on. As I raised the rates most were willing to pay. So all of the assistants I worked with around me raised theirs too.
LA, NYC and Miami were different all together with assistants making anywhere from 175 to 350 depending on their task load.
I feel an assistant should open the studio, make the coffee, set some lights and be there thinking of your every move throughout the day. Whispering in your ear when they have an idea about the shoot or if a light is misfiring. He packs up all the gear at night, sweeps the studio and locks the door. (I'm not a prima donna, I do help with anything that is needed if I have the time)
A production co ordinator (in still photography) does most of the stuff an assistant will do but has access to the photographer's budget and will have a more intimate knowledge of the client and their needs (sits in on meetings etc). I expect to pay $175 to 250/day.
A producer (off set) does all the work a PC does but uses their own cash usually to bankroll the photographer's end of the shoot and usually has access to the client's budget (hotels, model fees etc, whatever the photographer doesn't want to pay for). I expect to pay up to $350/day.
A producer (on set) again does all that a off set does but will also be there on shoot dates, covering for whatever is needed. More than likely has a cell phone stuck on the side of their face. I pay up to $550 for them.

These are just my thoughts. Not rules or anything like that. Some of the pricing might be a little off here and there but you get the idea.

thanks
r
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: