American Photo, last edition about Assistants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan P Simeon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: American Photo, last edition about Assistants Reply with quote

Just read the last edition of American Photo. Very interesting stuff about assistants, but perhaps my opinion as an European photographer is different.

I would like to know how you US photographers, and also US assistants surfing this forum, think about the articles.

Hope JamesNYC is also around !

www.mysimeon.ch
Terence Patrick
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pretty good article. I think the fields they looked in to find these top-10 assistants was a bit narrow, but at least they're trying to expose new talent. It gives me hope that working as an assistant will be rewarding on some levels.

Anyone shooting lifestyle/fashion in the LA area looking for a freelance second/third assistant? Very Happy
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the story Ivan?

http://www.popphoto.com/americanphotofeatures/2642/the-best-photo-assistants-in-america.html

I thought it was pretty good. As with any story that hits close to home, you're bound to disagree with at least some of it and this is no exception. I don't think it talked enough about the majority of assistants that work for many photographers instead of full time for big names.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JamesNYC
Just Getting Warmed Up

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: What James/NYC thinks..... Reply with quote

James/NYC,
claims that the article is rich with inaccuracies.

Not the least if which is the claim that "..no similar organization exists for assistants.."
in speaking of the late AfterSunset web site.
When in fact www.PhotoAssistant.Net has been around since 1998.
Additionally In 1998 there were 12 other sites trying to all do the same thing.
Now there are 3 that I know of; and only www.PhotoAssistant.Net is currently serving up to date relevant contact information.

Additionally those at AfterSunset A.K.A. 5th & Sunset NYC, were well aware of the web site www.photoassistant.net because not long after I approached then about working with me to expand the site and perhaps advertise on it they had the audacity to lift the all of the HTML code of my site and database and use it for there own in the early days of there existence. How do I know? They didn't even have the common sense to remove my embedded copyright tags. Can you be more obvious??
This can be documented by the captured pages and screen shoots from this area that I still have archived.

So much of the article is suck crap, including the list of day rates and rankings of assistants, the list of nominees, 8 of whom I know for a fact have not assisted in at least 4+ years because they are working photographers.
I don't know who did the research or made the calls but it is highly subjective and skewed.It appears that only friend of friends were contacted and asked for recommendations.
A simple Google search with the keywords: photo assistant, or photoassistant brings up PhotoAssistant.Net in the first ten listings.
Even a search for Photographers Assistant brings up information.

PDN managed to make calls to people on both my assistants and Digi-tech DB for there up coming article, Picture magazine has contacted people for an article there doing, how is it American Photo can't utilize all of the resources on the web?

While I think it is great that assistants get some kind of recognition, and I think its great that those recognized get there 15 minutes of fame; I know of several dozen assistants from across the United States and even in Europe that are not only long time outstanding assistants but are also amazing photographers in there own right.

In the next few weeks a few of these will have there works exhibited in the new on-line magazine www.TruceMag.Com

Ok , time to get off of my soap-box, run this through spell check and got have lunch.

Hey Brooks, hope I wasn't too opinionated?

James/NYC
Ivan P Simeon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James for your input. It's always interesting to have an inside view. Cheers.

www.mysimeon.ch
ianmcc
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This revelation only reconfirms my opinion that American Photo is just re-hashed Pop Photo with Celebrity Boobies on the cover. That mag has lost the plot years ago.
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
R3H 0H2

website http://www.ian.ca

blog http://www.ian.mb.ca
Mike
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed to , on my quick look at the article that many of these folks were not assistants, but photographers. If they are going to profile the 10 best assistants, it should be limited to assisitants, not assistant/photographers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: