Modeling Rates/Releases/Etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Modeling Rates/Releases/Etc. Reply with quote

Up until recently I've rarely used professional models. When I have, it was always in a good faith situation - they were interested in building their portfolios and such.
Now I find myself with slightly larger budgets and limited time to deal with less experienced models. What is standard in agreements with agencies? Is a model typically work-for-hire? In what instance are they entitled to a piece of royalties?
Most of my work is editorial and magazine (mostly trade) covers.
Brooks Ayola
Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a wide range of modeling agencies as far as quality goes, so you'll find a wide range of agreements too. The larger agencies out here in Los Angeles charge on a usage model that is similar to what photographer SHOULD charge. The models that are more in demand are more expensive and you can only use the images for the project that is quoted. Any further use has to be negotiated with the agency. A 20% agency fee is also standard, so if you are quoted $1000.00 plus agency fees, the total is $1200.00.

Now, smaller agencies will have the fee, but on top of smaller model fees for less experienced (or less desirable) models.

The other thing is "new faces." Sometimes newer models will need good tear sheets, so the agencies will have more flexibility with the fees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ProPhotoForums.com Forum Index :: Photographer's Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: